1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What exactly does tradition's opening bonus?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Singulare, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Singulare

Singulare Chieftain

What exactly does tradition's opening bonus do?

More specifically what does the increased border expansion mean. Does it work on all cities? Does it matter when you get it?

2. Makavcio

Makavcio Prince

All I know is that it provides +2 culture for your capital, which is a huge benefit and drastically improves the pace of border growth for that city. Dunno if it has any effect on other cities.

3. georgie

georgie Warlord

It provides +3 culture for capital and reduces the culture tile cost by a certain amount (not sure off the top of my head) for all cities.

4. DGDobrev

DGDobrev Warlord

It is a huge bonus in the early game (+3 culture in your capital is sick)- both for opening new tiles, and for getting a second policy as well. It is a very, very worthwhile opening from emperor to deity difficulty as well. Never underestimate it...

5. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Jokerfied Western Male

It's not a fixed amount or percentage.
    It reduces the cost increase for tiles, and that reduction is larger the more tiles your city already has. It doesn't affect your first tile at all, is hardly significant for early border expansion, but is very helpful for late border growth.

6. Makavcio

Makavcio Prince

It seems that it's +3 on standard speed (yuck) and +2 on epic.

7. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Jokerfied Western Male

It's always +3.
    Epic doesn't change yields, it just increases the cost of everything by 50%.

8. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

City expansion rate is cut by 75% in all cities with the major exception of puppets.
    Capital produces 3 culture per turn as well; which early on helps a lot in getting your capital to acquire tiles in addition to making your second policy extremely fast.

9. Singulare

Singulare Chieftain

Thats to everyone but this is what I was looking for. Thanks dude.

I was asking because I wanted to boost up my border expansion late game and picked that up after 2 full culture trees. And it seems to me like it was super random. Like I'll stay 30 turns on the same standard squares and than come back a bit later a have 2 squares opened. But I guess I just dont remember properly.

10. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

Its incorrect.

The normal formula for culture tile cost (standard) is
    15+(n*10)^1.1

with Tradition opener it is
    15+(n*10)^0.85