What films have you been watching? (XII/IB) - CFC's Dirty Dozen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Well

Spoiler :
the aliens didn't waste any time pretending to be friendly :D

@EgonSpengler @hobbsyoyo @Bootstoots you might like this.
I've yet to see a review of it that was even "fair to middling", but maybe I'll give it a shot someday anyway. I actually tried watching Justice League last week, even though I haven't heard anyone say anything good about it. I got about 20 minutes in, I think.

I saw the new Mission Impossible yesterday. It was good. Sleak and stylish, explosions, and lots of crazy stunts only Tom Cruise would do. Hawkeye William Brandt Jeremy Renner was conspicuously absent. That is the 2nd no show for this summer's big action movie for him.

I've yet to see a review of it that was even "fair to middling", but maybe I'll give it a shot someday anyway. I actually tried watching Justice League last week, even though I haven't heard anyone say anything good about it. I got about 20 minutes in, I think.

It actually was very bad. See a later post of mine on it ^_^

I got half way through Blade Runner 2049. I made the mistake of starting a 3 hour movie at 10:30pm. Had to go to bed at midnight. I can't wait to finish the rest tonight.

Three hours? Ain't nobody got time for that.

Dirty Harry. Still good after all these years.
you bin' learnin' some jive, brotha

I saw the new Tomb Raider film with Alicia Vikander. It was pretty reasonable, but very derivative.

I saw the new Tomb Raider film with Alicia Vikander. It was pretty reasonable, but very derivative.
...as in, it's basically just a non-interactive movie-version of the 2013 game-reboot? The game which (I heard) contained so many QTEs and scripted cutscenes that it wasn't much more than an interactive movie itself, à la Dragon's Lair...? ;)

But still... Alicia Vikander... Mmmm...

(Have you seen Ex Machina?)

I haven't seen Ex Machina, no. The film incorporates the Trinity organisation from the second game in the Survivor series (i.e. the 2013-reboot games) and takes the basic plot and a few of the dramatic set-pieces from the first game, but still manages to have several twists and turns of its own, including engaging performances from Dominic West, Daniel Wu and others. It also seems to have taken some inspiration from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, but that's hardly a sin in this genre. :)

2 hours and 44 minutes run time, but that included about 10 minutes of post movie credits. I finished it and it was awesome. I haven't seen the original blade runner in years. You don't have to watch it, but it might help. I hope there's a third one, they set it up pretty well so there could be.

I haven't seen Ex Machina, no.
You should. One of the most interesting SF movies I've seen in a long time...

Just watched Finding Dorrie with the family. It was fun, sure, but not as much as I remember the first one being. I wish Pixar a speedy recovery from its current bout of chronic sequelitis as well, though of course that wish is not going to stop me watching The Incredibles 2 at the first opportunity...

...as in, it's basically just a non-interactive movie-version of the 2013 game-reboot? The game which (I heard) contained so many QTEs and scripted cutscenes that it wasn't much more than an interactive movie itself, à la Dragon's Lair...? ;)
Everything in the above quotation is wrong. You should "hear" from people who actually know what they're talking about. :)

The 2013 game does have a lot of rather gory QTEs.

The 2013 game does have a lot of rather gory QTEs.
Saying that the game has QTEs is very different from saying that it has so many that it isn't much more than an interactive movie, and the Dragon's Lair comparison is a joke.

I don't disagree, though the QTEs are particularly obnoxious in that game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom