What "free" tech from Philosophy?

What "free" tech do we want?

• Next tech in our research queue (Currency)

Votes: 12 70.6%
  • Map Making

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Astronomy

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • something else

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Leowind

Emperor
After Mysticism we will be researching Philosophy, and should be the first civ to get it, which will give us an immediate "free" tech. We should talk about what we want this tech to be. We can, of course, just grab the next tech in our queue, but sometimes it is worthwhile to take advantage of the "free" tech to grab something else. I've included the major options as I see them, but feel free to propose something different.

***CALLING ALL CIV CIVVIES!***
Do you want to travel abroad?
Meet new people?
Nick Their Ideas?
Maybe even wallop em one day?
Raid Villages First?
Buy some Souveniers?
Expand Our Empire?

If the answer is YES then lets go sailing!!!

Were in the naveeee.. lalalla :mwaha:

Astronomy. Gives us a chance to get started on Copernicus.

I agree that although it would be nice to mess around in boats and to get ourselves a start on another wonder, we will be able to more than make up the head start if we can build caravans earlier and start to stockpile them for when we can reach Astronomy on our own. If we get currency free then we can start trade and use Marco's as a placeholder for Cope's in Elysium.

I did think that was the idea to get trade as an early tech when we had the cance, and this is the chance

Definitely pursue our goal of trade first! Take Mapmaking if the direct path to trade isn't offered.

BTW, we can't take Astronomy until we have Masonry and Mathematics ...

Originally posted by MonkE
BTW, we can't take Astronomy until we have Masonry and Mathematics ...
Good point; I'd forgotten that :blush:
I guess that makes the choice between Currency and Map Making. So far it's been a pretty close race.

Admiral Mordhiem is disgusted that the populace of NUF do not wish to build boats and go hunting Vikings. He almost feels it that a bloody war with an enemy to thin out these pathetic pacifists would be beneficary.

Umm...we have no navy yet, so how can you be an Admiral, Mordheim? ;) Support for Map Making is steadily growing; I'm sure we will be researching it soon.

Originally posted by Leowind
Umm...we have no navy yet, so how can you be an Admiral, Mordheim? ;)

Surley there is something in the constitution allowing the Military Advisor to behead such insolent citizens? ;)

Originally posted by mordhiem

Surley there is something in the constitution allowing the Military Advisor to behead such insolent citizens? ;)
Insolent citizens, yes; Science Advisors to the Queen, no. ;)

Map Making is a useful tech but we don't need it straight away as we don't even have a proper army.

Good point Dell. I'd prefer to wait until we can build either elephants or crusaders before launching any kind of offensive against either the Indians or the Vikings. With a sole chariot and a legion then we don't stand much chance of impressing anyone with our might. We have sufficient troops to repel anyone who'd like to make their mark on our territory but aren't yet in a position to do the same to them. I say that currency and then trade is the best direction!
(I too was wondering when we'd got Masonry and Mathematics :confused:)

Originally posted by Dell19
Map Making is a useful tech but we don't need it straight away as we don't even have a proper army.

But we can explore, and put settlers on (so far) empty islands and populate them before someone else does. We are on a small island. I assume that we plan to settle elsewhere and not just rely on war to get new towns!

Obviously we may need to in the future but there should still be empty islands for a long time.

At this point Currency has a healthy lead over all others, so will be our "free" tech chosen unless the voting changes dramatically before Queen Jayne plays again. This will be reported in the 'Next turn" thread.

Top Bottom