1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What game speed do people play on and why?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Furinax, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Furinax

Furinax Chieftain

Me and my friends have mostly played on Quick. So far I've felt like other speeds leave me with nothing to do for the first few ages on most turns. I have played mostly with a few people and then AI's, where the AI's outnumber the humans.

2. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

Quick, after hundred of games you get used to it, and on Standard I've noticed is a diffrent game, i.e Worker will often take longer than Writing, so I can't perform my Shrine and G Library manuver without risking losing the race.

3. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

On a standard map, regular speed: Appears best balanced that way.
    For a large map, I prefer Epic speed to compensate for movement affects on a large map.

4. omnishakira

omnishakira Warlord

Marathon all the way. I like slow games and I love early eras more.

I work at home so Ive way more free time than most adults.

5. smallfish

smallfish Immortal

Currently playing on Standard - Quick is too fast, and Epic is kinda slow (not as slow as Marathon or so I hear). In future, might try Epic again for longer "colonization" games but that's it. If I want to slow down AI insane techs, I'll just go play a later era start (not that it helps... but you get to play with a lot of things fast and loose).

6. Dogmouth

Dogmouth King

Epic. I normally play on large maps, so Epic is necessary to get anywhere in any reasonable time. Also, I much prefer the aesthetics of the early game (open spaces, classical units, etc.), so I like to have a long pre-modern period.

7. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I play huge maps on marathon. I don't mind that a game might take me up to 2 weeks to play. That's why you can save the game.

8. Swashbuckler.

Swashbuckler. Chieftain

Marathon, huge, emperor, fractal maps, 22 civs, 22 CS, raging barbs. I prefer marathon cuz I don't like to my units become obsolete before they are even built :p I love longer wars in some period of time so I can enjoy my huge army. :) And also I mostly play hot-seat with my 2 friends. They also like marathon. Games are long but we enjoy it.

9. Biologist

Biologist Researcher

I play on Epic speed, and typically play large (and occasionally huge) maps. Aside from the map size, I like Epic speed because I feel that the eras between Classical and Modern are just a blur on Standard (not to mention Quick). I like to spend some time in each era, so that it feels like I'm watching my civilization's history unfold, and not just viewing a slideshow in fast-forward.

From a practical standpoint, if you play at Standard or Quick speed on a large or huge map, your units are often obsolete by the time you get them to the battlefield.

10. KokeenoPokameso

KokeenoPokameso Warlord

I play on Marathon on huge or large maps. Playing on standard I found that no sooner do I get an army together than I enter a new era and have to upgrade everything. Especially on larger maps where it can many terns to cross the gap between empires. most frustrating thing is how long it takes to build up a unit. Loosing a unit in combat becomes a huge loss.

I am considering dropping to epic to get in more games. I have not played on epic at all so it should be interesting to see how it is balanced.

11. KGPurrs

KGPurrs Chieftain

After you play on Marathon, its extremely hard to play on any other speed seriously.

12. Matthew.

Matthew. Deity

Couldn't the same be said about any pace? You get use to a specific routine...

After experimenting with all paces (especially recently) I like standard best. Quick, the numbers are too messed up. Epic/Marathon, and there are large sections of the game where I am doing nothing but clicking next turn until I get the next tech I need to progress.

I think standard still works for large maps, but I agree with Biologist that epic works better on huge maps.

13. Hammer Rabbi

Hammer Rabbi Deity GOTM Staff

ditto. pretty much says it all for me, too.

14. KGPurrs

KGPurrs Chieftain

If you plan on playing culture and science peaceful, click next turn over and over games (ZZZZZZZZZZZZ BORING!!!), then yea go quick. You are playing way too peaceful on marathon if you are constantly clicking next turn.

15. Matthew.

Matthew. Deity

You still run into happiness/gold walls and such, no? Domination games are my favorite, but standard still seems to work just fine. I will reach a new era, upgrade my military, and have ~40-50 turns to conquer with it. That is more than enough time for me to enjoy each era.

And what of maps where you end up on a smaller continent? After conquering it, you are clicking next turn until caravels (more likely frigates) before any action starts up again.

16. Hammer Rabbi

Hammer Rabbi Deity GOTM Staff

its not clicking next turn the whole game, just through certain sections of the game. early turns for certain while your scouting and settling but after wars, even early wars, and you get a good peace deal all your doing is rebuilding/moving units to another front or waiting for the deal to end to re-Dow. feels like it takes forever.

17. Masher8559

Masher8559 Chieftain

I only play Marathon, i felt that in standard speed i would build units only for them to become obsolete a few turns later. I love to play in all ages, so Marathon offers the best experience for me.

My current game is a huge continents plus map on marathon with 22 civs... it's taking a while. :D

18. KGPurrs

KGPurrs Chieftain

In Marathon, proper planning is essential to your strategy. Also there is nothing wrong with razing a city.

19. Unresolved

Unresolved King

I play on standard speed since I feel like games take long enough as it is. If I have a whole day to play, I'd like to finish a game.

20. Zilkin

Zilkin Chieftain

Epic seems like be the best balance for me.