1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What game speed do people play on and why?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Furinax, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Aaron90495

Aaron90495 King

I typically play Quick games when I'm on Immortal and Standard games on Deity. Deity is impossible on Quick, but Immortal on Quick is much harder and becomes intense. Domination games on Quick are actually really fun; you have such a short window with your UU that every turn counts.

2. jddods

jddods Prince

I started playing on standard but it was taking me about a month to finish a game and I got bored and didn't finish some.
    So now it's quick on huge.
    John

3. Wargizmo

Wargizmo Warlord

Standard, because it's what most people play and most strategies are designed around standard. I do like epic though.

4. ense7en

ense7en n7

Standard.

Quick for MP, though it does feel all wrong for balance.

Really cannot handle the slower speeds as i have enough trouble finishing games on standard, never mind longer.

5. Moriarte

Moriarte Immortal

I enjoy all speeds except for quick, which is too quick. Slow speeds are generally easier though, especially when you abuse stuff. Like stealing two workers on marathon (1600 gold worth, right?) :D

6. Heretiv

Heretiv Warlord

Standard, since it works pretty well and doesn't take too long.
    I do like the epic and large maps but it takes forever to get through a game.
    Quick is odd and only ok for cultural wins really, since the military aspect goes off.

7. Matthew.

Matthew. Deity

Quick isn't terrible once you get to the second half of the game. When the numbers get larger, things start to balance out and feel like normal again. It is just that first part of the game that feels way off.

8. marioflag

marioflag History Addict

Marathon speed, it is the only speed i like to play because units have a good timespan to be used and because you have more time to play in every era.
    In marathon speed i don't like though that combat experience is more important than in other speeds and so is less balanced.

9. RealHuhn

RealHuhn Emperor

On standard, the trick is to prepare for war in a different way. Build units one era before you want to go to war, hit your desired military tech, upgrade your units on the same turn and steamroll everyone. :D
    On huge maps, I can see the point to switch to epic speed but other than that, it's just a myth that troops go obsolete before you can do some serious damage with them.

So yeah, the game is balanced around standard speed. Standard all the way baby :)

10. Masher8559

Masher8559 Chieftain

I never said that i cannot do serious damage with them. I have no problem with steam rolling other civs on standard, the a.i is pretty bad at fighting wars without cheats. my problem with standard is that i personally enjoy playing with each era's units for as long as possible. I want to fight multiple wars and take my time before i start upgrading to the next era. Hence why i always have and always will play on Marathon. :D

11. ambill10

ambill10 Chieftain

I used to play Marathon, but about three months ago I took it to another level. I created my own mod that slows marathon down even a little more while units and diplomacy occur at Standard pace. The key was slowing down population growth to somewhere between Epic and Marathon so that cities didn't grow too fast. I can't play anything else anymore.

I also changed the beakers on the Medieval and Renaissance techs so that you get bogged down in the dark ages for quite a while and can't fly through the mid-game. My games take a very long time, but it's how I love to play. I'm all about enjoying each era and immersion. The Standard speed diplomacy and deals on a Marathon tech and culture speed really makes diplomacy more dynamic because your Ancient era friends can be your Medieval enemies before finishing your Modern allies in a world war.

12. Babri

Babri Emperor

Epic. I like to feel the unique aspects of the game,take my time to explore, settle & fight wars. UUs obsolete too quickly on standard for my taste.

13. Shadow717

Shadow717 Warlord

I've played on epic pace since day one and never looked back. Civ3 Conquests was one of my favorite games, and of the only two things I disliked about that game, the stupidly fast mid-late game tech progression was one of them (the other was the dreadful corruption system which basically told you to piss off if you wanted a city any reasonable distance from the capital to be worthwhile).

It always happened that by the time my units were built/upgraded and moved to whereever they needed to be, they were obsolete before I could even use them. Now admitedlly I've never played standard in Civ5, but that's because Epic felt like the perfect pace from the very first game. I could actually use all my units from different eras instead of breezing passed them with 3-4 turn tech research times likes in Civ3. I love being able to start a war in the Ren. or Industrial era and actually have the whole war play out in that time. :goodjob: I find it especially to my liking for Civs with musket UUs like America

14. phos_hilaron

phos_hilaron Warlord

I play quick games if I'm trying to get an achievement. It feels way too short for me.

I usually play standard games when I'm trying out a new strategy.

I've recently "converted" to Epic. I love the feel, the longer periods seem more "realisitic"...like my UU's last a tad longer. The exploration and research seems "closer to actual"...so far I may have converted myself.

If I play multiplayer, I play standard.

Epic games, of course, do take about a week to complete playing here and there for an hour or three. I played 180 turns last night in bed, took about 3.5 hours.

15. MisterBoomBoom

MisterBoomBoom King

Epic works best for me. If I deviate it is to Marathon. I refuse to play on the faster speeds as I find it makes the early units pretty worthless and any choice of the tech tree valid without consequences or depth of strategy.

16. Zezima

Zezima Professional Troll

Epic for single player and Standard for multiplayer. Epic is definitely my preferred speed. I feel it is the most balanced because it gives me more time to manage my empire, engage in war, and enjoy all of the game's aspects overall. I rarely find myself simply clicking next turn over and over (after Satellites or during the home stretch of a Cultural game, maybe).

Longer time scales do make the game a little easier but not because it lessens the bonuses of the AI. Instead, it gives the player more time and more opportunities to catch up and make up for mistakes, which I appreciate.

I hate quick speed. I just feel rushed and don't have time to enjoy anything. I haven't tried Marathon yet but I'm not sure I would like twice the length of Epic. I could see it being enjoyable for huge maps, but only once in a long while.

17. Rellin

Rellin Norrathian Gnome

I have only played standard so far, but I am going to play epic for my next game to try it out.

18. ahawk

ahawk King

This sums up my feelings, too.

On Duel or Tiny, Quick isn't such a handicap, and I've tried it a few times, but I prefer Standard.

From Duel all the way up to Standard map size, Standard speed is pretty good and the most fun for me.

On Large, I can still sometimes pull off playing on Standard speed if it's a Pangaea and I start in a somewhat central location.

On both Large and Huge, however, Epic helps your army move into position without too much time going by since everything takes longer while your army still moves at the normal number of movement points per unit type.

Marathon is the one speed setting I usually tire of far too quickly. Unless the objective is to play as the Aztecs on a Marathon/Raging Barbs, I usually don't bother with it.

19. iamdanno

iamdanno Warlord

I used to play standard speed all the time, but my last 20 games or so have been on epic, and I like that better. I tend to be a builder, so I get to build more stuff :), and I like a nice long war that doesn't have all my units upgraded several times during the war.

20. aldon47

aldon47 Chieftain

I've recently made the jump from standard to epic, and I must say I love it. I was hesitant at first due to game length but I enjoy it taking longer, especially since it puts more emphasis on your decisions. also for the first time I've been able to create a sizeable army without worrying about everything outdating before I even attack, especially my UUs.

There are moments where I did click End Turn a lot but I didn't notice it too much since I seemed to be fighting barbs a lot (no raging barbs).