1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What game speed do you play?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by aviator99_uk, Mar 9, 2006.

?

What speed setting do you use?

1. quick

5 vote(s)
    2.2%
  2. normal

79 vote(s)
    34.8%
  3. epic

94 vote(s)
    41.4%
  4. marathon

49 vote(s)
    21.6%
  1. MrCynical

MrCynical Deity

Marathon speed was only added with 1.52. Why do you run with 1.0? I suppose if you really want to stick to 1.0 for some reason you could add marathon into the XML yourself if you wanted to try it.

2. caramac

caramac Chieftain

MrCynical is right. :agree: Marathon mode actually gives you time to use your units before they become outdated. On normal I find that by the time I have conquered my first town or two my guys can be upgraded! :cry:

So I just forget that quick mode is there at all and imagine normal as quick, epic as normal, and marathon as epic. :D

3. mossmonster

mossmonster Consider, if you will...

Marathon and Huge is the way to go. :)

4. Sabretou

Sabretou Warlord

I tried Marathon, but I'm not really a warmonger, so I got bored with it. I mostly play at Normal now, but I'll try Epic and Marathon again soon...

5. dimaliok

dimaliok GayLORD

Acutlly to me normal is the best if u play noble or under

quick is 2 qiuck epic is 2 slow i ussley go 4 a space race victory:)

6. redstar05

redstar05 Chieftain

marathon or quick for me. I think that different speeds work on different map sizes: quick -duel,tiny
    normal-small,standard
    epic-standard,large,huge
    marathon can be used on any large map though.

7. ToV

ToV Warlord

I always play on epic. Marathon is simply too slow for my taste. If units could be trained just a little bit faster on that speed, then I might be fine with marathon. Sometimes I play at normal speed, but I usually prefer epic.

8. CivFan202

CivFan202 Chieftain

i love to play marathon on large maps (huge is just to big). i wish that unit and building times could be a little shorter.

9. Acceptable_Loss

Acceptable_Loss Chieftain

Single player:
    Marathon and huge!
    except my marathon is modified so that you can build units and buildings at 125% standard speed! is crazy... were talking huge armies and epic battles

Multiplayer: Quick of course

10. Traxis

Traxis Chieftain

I mostly play Epic, but I also play a custom speed I made, (it is really just Marathon with Epic build times).

11. Mr Moron

Mr Moron ??????????????????????

I have been playing on Epic since I started playing. After reading some of the comments in this thread I may try marathon for a change. It sounds like it could solve some of the problems I have with offensive wars. Mostly unit obslence and that the opponent can build extra reinforcements in the middle of it all.

12. Older than Dirt

Older than Dirt King

I almost always play on Epic, but in my current game at Prince level I did not build a single musketman, because I got Grenadiers so soon after gunpowder. Marathon just seems to take so long in the modern age if you are going for a cultural or space race victory (which I rarely do).

13. Zombie69

Zombie69 Emperor

It doesn't matter how many turns you can use the forests, since you'll build the same amount of stuff with them anyway (because stuff costs more to build). Also, choping down a forest allows for a farm or a cottage to be placed there, and these are at least as good as (and usually much better than) the lowly extra production from the forest. So the extra production per turn is irrelevant.

Chopping is better in slower speeds for the simple fact that the one worker turn spent to move onto the forest is less costly in slower speeds. Everything else regarding forests remains the same at all speeds.

14. ScarletFox

ScarletFox Chieftain

i have payed quick, but im going to try something slower...

15. futurehermit

futurehermit Deity

i get bored playing the same game for weeks and weeks so i play normal speed and i'm fine with that. when a unit becomes obselete i just promote it.

16. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I like Marathon, because I don't care to see my units not up to snuff when I really need them to kick some arse...

17. fortytwo

fortytwo Chieftain

I've just now grown tired with "normal," because on Monarch difficulty the only way to keep up is to have your Tech so healthy that you are getting techs VERY RAPIDLY.

So, first off, you start at such a disadvantage that you don't really catch up with the tech leaders until Machinary or Engineering. At that point you are flying through the game so quick that, to reiteratte what others have said, war becomes quite ridiculous when your UU is obsolete before you can build a dozen of them.

Another problem with 4-6 turn tech finishing is that it makes the end-game Space Race much less strategic. In fact, it makes "going for" just about any tech, such as Military Tradition to quickly gain a military advantage, pointless.

Finally, it makes using GP to rush techs almost pointless.

So I'm trying Epic, but might go Marathon.

18. sand

sand under the sun

for someone used to playng rts the whole concept of an 4hour game seemed emense for me. its hard getting used to being limitted by price to expand my empire. i would play quick but fear i wouldn't learn as much.

19. migthegreek

migthegreek Back In Black

I think some people are thinking of it in the wrong way - as in Normal is below Epic and Marathon in terms of duration, so they're calling it a slower speed. Normal is a faster speed.

20. migthegreek

migthegreek Back In Black

:confused: :confused: :confused: