1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What gives you Civ4 gamer rage?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by itsunder9000, May 5, 2013.

?

Which gives you the most gamer rage?

1. But...I was building that..(losing a wonder race)

12 vote(s)
    9.0%
  2. Mr. Burnside you let me down(Losing a battle you are almost certain to win)

22 vote(s)
    16.5%
  3. Anywhere but there!!!(Losing a key city spot)

20 vote(s)
    15.0%
  4. A massive barabian uprising is occuring......(oh dear)

6 vote(s)
    4.5%
  5. You sucker punched me!(Losing a key city to barbs)

3 vote(s)
    2.3%
  6. no..no.no don't call your momma(weak civ your at war with vassalizes to strong civ)

11 vote(s)
    8.3%
  7. Darn Liberals(Losing a bonus tech i.e. Liberalism, Music, Economics)

2 vote(s)
    1.5%
  8. But I had faith!(Not founding a religion)

2 vote(s)
    1.5%
  9. I guess I'm uncompetative(Not founding a corporation)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. So this is suffering the wrath of God...(Having the AP do something you really dont want)

6 vote(s)
    4.5%
  11. Cathy I thought we had something..(Being backstabbed by pleased AI)

7 vote(s)
    5.3%
  12. Run for your lives!!!(Surprise attack by a large stack of doom)

7 vote(s)
    5.3%
  13. Nananana you cant catch me...(Runaway civ)

3 vote(s)
    2.3%
  14. Wanna mess with me now...?(AI gets longbows too soon)

2 vote(s)
    1.5%
  15. Penniless(Not having Copper, Iron, Horse, Oil, or Uranium)

11 vote(s)
    8.3%
  16. They all stink equally

6 vote(s)
    4.5%
  17. I adoped pacifism, no gamer rage but one gold upkeep for posting

6 vote(s)
    4.5%
  18. Other, please specify

7 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. itsunder9000

itsunder9000 Chieftain

Which of the following events make you most likely create a rage induced collision between your computer and the ground outside your window?

2. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

Usually for me it is losing a fight at ridiculously high odds, in my favor, especially at the worst possible time.

Losing a wonder with 1turn left is pretty much a pisser too.

3. nerdfighter13

nerdfighter13 Prince of the Universe

I said other because almost all of them make me angry.

4. gunslinger6792

gunslinger6792 Warlord

Ending up right next to Ghengis Khan and not having the copper or iron to produce the troops to repel his attack :) I fought a whole war down to the bitter end. Nothing worse than a bad start next to a run away AI.

5. Ambidexter

Ambidexter Edjumacated Idjit

Being backstabbed by an AI I'd done nothing to annoy.

I also hate an AI who's annoyed at me asking me to go to war with another AI I'm on friendly terms and who's a major trading partner. No, Monty, I'm not going to war with Gandhi who's my source for iron.

6. Elite

Elite Comrade

weak civ I'm at war with vassalizes to a stronger civ who can actually stand up to me.

7. Robert FIN

Robert FIN Monty n' Roll

I voted for: Cathy, I thought we had something...

8. s.bernbaum

s.bernbaum Mostly lurking

I play CIV for fun and relaxation. If it made me angry, I would not be playing it.

9. vincentz

vincentz Programmer

Love the descriptions :D

I voted Nananana you cant catch me...(Runaway civ), being myself as the runaway.
    It just gets boring when you outtech, outlast, outsmart all the other civs.

10. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

voted Mr. Burnside. He oughtta be nuked from orbit. Twice. Then glassed over, re-potted for a National Park, just to be sure.

11. Culture Bomb

Culture Bomb Warlord

I went with the Wrath of God - IMO the AP is one of the worst-implemented features of the game. If nothing else it should become obsolete much earlier (Scientific Method, Astronomy or Physics) and defying should have greatly reduced effect if you have the obsoleting tech, even if the owner doesnt.

What's especially annoying is when an AI randomly wins the game due to an AP vote just because you captured 1 city so now every civ has the AP religion.

12. Smilingrogue

Smilingrogue Raging Barbarian

The AP, hands down. I would go with the Barb uprising event, but I stopped playing with events long ago. The AP on the other hand can't be turned off without also shutting the door on a valid UN win condition, is either poorly thought out and poorly implemented or buggy as all get out and makes absolutely zero sense.

13. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

*OTHER*

The controls in this game still do not work properly.

- Accidentally "auto explore" units because a promotion used to be in that spot, but the game moved it just before you clicked TROLOLOLOLOLOL #freakingidiots

- Game will "think" you're pressing alt when you're not sometimes, allowing DoW on allies w/o prompt. Game over.

- Alt-click. Okay, I've selected the whole stack. Shift click to unselect a unit. Okay, I've selected the whole stack. Shift click to unselect a unit. Okay, I've selected the whole stack. Shift click to unselect a unit. Okay, I've selected the whole stack. Shift click to unselect a unit. Okay, I've selected the whole stack. Shift click to unselect a unit. Okay, I've selected the whole stack. Shift click to unselect a unit. Okay, I've selected the whole stack. Shift click to unselect a unit. Okay, I've selected the whole stack. Shift click to unselect a unit. Okay, I've selected the whole stack. Shift click to unselect a unit. Okay, I've selected the whole stack. Shift click to unselect a unit.

(Hey failaxis, shift click selects and unselects individual units...usually).

- Control click to select all swords. Yes. Control click to select all marines. Nope. Control clicking on the marines selects the navy this time, even though sometimes it actually selects the marines, and even though if you wanted to select the navy, you'd control-click on the navy. #freakingidiots

- Queued orders from a previous turn are done automatically at the start of the next turn. Forcibly. Even if you attempt to cancel them. This makes queued orders effectively useless since new situations arise and using them puts you at an actual disadvantage for no reason at all.

- Can't hit end turn. Won't let you hit end turn. You must wait several seconds while nothing happens before you can hit end turn #freakingidiots

I could go on, but nothing in the gameplay itself is nearly so grating as the UI's refusal to let me play the game.

14. rah

rah Deity Supporter

I agree 100% with TheMeInTeam

Nothing more frustrating then controls that don't work when you're playing a MP game with a timer on.

15. Imperialistic

Imperialistic Chieftain

in my latest game:

- my closest rival Roosevelt was a least a couple thousand beakers behind in research (I have education, liberalism and he didn't). I was minding my own business, teching and building units, and when I checked again some 20'ish turns later, he had inexplicably pulled 3-4 techs ahead (he's got Chemistry and a few other things while I only have some low-beaker techs to offer up in trade).

- Ramses was boxed into a tiny 2-city area since 1000 BC, and was not able to do anything besides building longbows. I built 6 cuirassiers and 6 trebs to wipe him out. By the (short) time my army walked up to his cities, the guy vassalized to another AI, got gifted a sick number of techs, and upgraded his longbows to rifles :mad:

16. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Especially with those blazing timers.

Double-moving people is cheap as heck, but it can be so decisive...

Chariots from out of fog---> move into range of a city via roads---> instantly attack a city the following turn. Before they implemented a forced delay on units who moved the previous turn right at the end of the timer, that kind of nonsense was unbelievable. Now, of course, we still have issues.

Nuking in MP is completely impossible. For literally 0 reason at all, the game blocks you from giving any other commands while it is animating and "calculating" nukes (hurrrr what's a processor?)...except for the currently selected stack (only proving this lockdown was actually unnecessary since you can, in fact, fire additional nukes if they're in that stack). Because of this, however, the calculation time on firing nukes out of different stacks can easily take longer than a turn timer, even if you could have given all launch orders in 1/8 of the time alotted.

As good as this game is overall, its controls are a disgrace :(.

17. Crispy007

Crispy007 Chieftain

@MeInTeam and Rah, try the kmod, he fixed a lot of those things, particularly the queued orders get executed at end of the turn

18. rah

rah Deity Supporter

We do play a gentleman's rule that the turn you DOW, you can not end your turn. This allows the person that you DOW a chance to respond. It's only good for the DOW turn but it does eliminate a lot of the worst abuses.

My favorite story is the "SMOKING KILLS" one.
    I had a city standoff (highly armed with cannons and support attack units, with two squares in between of no man's land, equally cultured.
    No DOW had occurred so I slipped out to the garage for a quick smoke. When I came back I found out that he had declared, moved into my territory, waited for the end of turn, quite surprised that I didn't attack out. At the start of the next turn, City gone without all of my guns ever firing. Smoking does kill.

19. rah

rah Deity Supporter

We have discussed using that but we would have to get everyone in the group to agree to it, which may not be that easy because of some of the rule's changes. And any new player to the group would have to use it, even if they were only joining us one time. It might cause too many logistic issues. It's safer to play with with an unmodded game.

20. King Pluto

King Pluto Emperor

I hate many of them, but nothing makes me slap my forehead like losing a city spot by a turn or two. Usually it's because I say "nah, I can afford not to whip, why give up my 2 GS for my academy to get that Settler out sooner? I'll be fine."

... *cue rage*