1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What Happened to Civilization World?

Discussion in 'Other Civ-Related Games' started by Hyreon, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Hyreon

Hyreon Chieftain

As part of a research phase for a hobby project I came across Civilization World, a massively multiplayer, real-time entry into the Civilization franchise. This was of particular interest since this is the closest I have seen to the game I am designing (although I am expecting much fewer players, of course.)

I was only able to find one review of the game, which was very vitriolic, citing
    • Connectivity Issues
    • No interesting choices (only one effective style of gameplay, namely hoarding food, then production)
    • Very little action in the first week, and not much significantly after
    • Uninteresting minigames
    After looking into some other posts I was able to find an old Kotaku article complaining about how people left the Roman empire for a bigger, stronger empire, the Americas, so
    • Players would flood into the largest empire, ignoring all other options
    For anyone who played this game on release, what happened?
    • Were the above 5 problems accurate in your experience?
    • Were there any additional, more important problems with the game?
    • Is it accurate to say the game shut down because it wasn't popular?
    • Is there anything noteworthy that the game did right?
    • Are there any other examples of similar games that have succeeded?
    I look forward to hearing what you have to say and will be continuing research regardless.