1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

What Happened to 'Culturally linked Starts'?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Jay, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Jay

Jay Chieftain

I used to love this option in Civ3 as you would meet the same people you would of last game, get revenge or simply beat them again. Does anyone else miss this option? i used to love seeing the zulu again and again attempting to get me that one time :D

2. MrCynical

MrCynical Chieftain

I don't really miss this. Starting next to the same civs every game made it rapidly rather boring, and in any case, the option was bugged in a number of versions so you'd always start next to the native american civs, regardless of who you were playing as. I was never entirely sure why they included this option in the first place.

3. Phrederick

Phrederick Chieftain

It was an option, so if you didn't like it, you didn't have to use it. I did like using it occasionally, because it made the game slightly more immersive for me.

4. snipafist

snipafist Chieftain

I wasn't really all that impressed with it, to be honest. It was always tough playing an Asian civ, as all your neighbors (barring Korea), were pretty agressive. If I wanted to play that way now, I'd just play an Earth map (assuming there was a Warlords-compatible one, that is).

5. Pantastic

Pantastic Chieftain

Take a look in the scenarios forum, there's at least 2 24-civ earth maps, and various regional maps. Plus you can use any of the vanilla civ maps pretty easily, just copy the file over to the appropriate warlords folder (usually publicmaps) and change the file extension to the warlords one.

6. Zavior

Zavior Trying to (b)eat deity

In civ3 it was bugged enough, and to be honest it wasn't really needed option.

7. Jay

Jay Chieftain

You think everyone can do a 24-civ map? i stop at standard size maps all there is no point playing ;p

8. Jay

Jay Chieftain

I never got a bug with that option, not any i noticed maybe? well i used to use 9/10 times.

9. bitplayer

bitplayer Chieftain

I actually do miss it. That and the native american civs.

Boy o boy would I like to see the Apache in a patch. UU fast cavalry. Traits Agg and exp. Starting techs hunting and fishing. UB the Im gonna kick yer ass hut.

:D

10. CivDude86

CivDude86 Chieftain

Its seems to already there or maybe its just fate. I played a game as Cartharge with Julius right next to me. We became the best of pals then sicked Monty on him then had him capitulate after taking his holy city.

11. Pantastic

Pantastic Chieftain

I think that anyone can do one of a 24-civ map, a regional map, or one of the maps from Civ4, especially if they were talking about missing one of the maps from civ4. I didn't just list one thing :p

12. Jean Elcard

Jean Elcard The Flavournator

Caution, here comes a bit of Thread Necromancy. :)

I've recently brought back the "Culturally Linked Starts" game option. So if you were liking it in Civ 3, you now have the chance to get for Civ4. I dare to say, that it is actually working better than in Civ3.

Here is the Link to the mod's thread: Culturally Linked Starts