What happened to palace improvements?

Nomaar

Chieftain
It's not a big thing, but the palace/throne improvements have been a signature feature of Civ game that were fun. Why'd they leave it out?

I stopped using that completely on CIV3, it was boring and awful to me. I only did it in the first place because I thought it was integral to the game and after I found out it was not I didn't know how to turn it off for a time. Wonder movies, though not necessary either, are far better than these paper palaces (I'm just comparing the CIV2 movies to the CIV3 palaces).

Palaces were a lame graphical representation of success.

Now you have all of your cities growing in front of your eyes on the map. It's way cooler. You won't miss palaces.

The Palace screen was good. If it was more complex and let you build more stuff in one go it was very fun to build you palace. I always found it a buzz whenever I got my first "the people love you" message because I knew I could add something to the palace.

In Civ3 I quite enjoyed building mix-n-match palaces...
Bottom tier Asian.
Second tier European.
Third tier Middle Eastern......

It ended up with some really strange looking palaces...

It's a pity that it's gone in Civ4, but oh well, it wasn't all that important.

(The Civ2 Throne-room one was weird though. As you 'improved' things went from looking strange to crazy! Why on earth would anyone want big metal beams going through their throne room?)

Great, they finally got rid of that. It was just an annoying time waster that added nothing to the game but eye-candy.

Hey - at least we have the Dan Quayle list back!

I've been playing Civ for 10+ years with throne and palace improvements, and I'm not about to stop now. Dammit, Firaxis, patch the feature back in!

Top Bottom