1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What happened to the early posts?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by rrreese, Feb 17, 2021.

1. rrreese

rrreese Chieftain

There seem to be quite a few missing posts from the early 2000's.

For example this thread is linked to from comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic in 16 Aug 2001: http://forums.civfanatics.com/Forum1/HTML/000532.html

That thread looks pretty interesting: "Tim Train and Michael Ely, creators of the Civ2 Wonder movies, have
    revealed the origin of all Wonder music in Civ2!"

The thread doesn't seem to be in Archive.org. Any idea if there is an old zip file lying around with saved threads, or maybe they got remapped to different links?

2. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

3. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Would the information itself still be here, though (findable via a keyword search)? Or did it get purged or lost at some point?

(I'd be very interested in reading about the Wonders music)

4. rrreese

rrreese Chieftain

The_J and Valka D'Ur like this.
  5. rrreese

rrreese Chieftain

6. Valka D'Ur

7. rrreese

rrreese Chieftain

8. Valka D'Ur

The migration wasn't actually that long ago, as forum lifespan is reckoned, so there shouldn't have been any issues with the Civ 2 subforums. I'm part of another former vBulletin forum that migrated to XenForo some time before we did (TrekBBS), and we lost the photo albums and forum icons (the admins gave us a generous amount of advance notice, though, for the people who wanted to save their albums, icons, and whatever else wouldn't make the migration).

CFC lost the social groups, most of the visitor's messages, forum icons... I didn't notice any missing posts, though. Some links were likely broken. I guess if the threads you're talking about had a lot of links they could have basically become alphabet soup.

Or...these appear to be really old threads, and may have been lost in some sort of purge or server-related accident. :(

9. rrreese

rrreese Chieftain

I think you are right. Looking at the id numbers 525 => 512 implying that 532 could have been mapped to 519. But 519 is a thread about J.S. Bach's Cathedral. I looked all the nearby threads in case I made a numerical error but they are not the threads either. I think the thread must have been deleted before the migration.

Unrelated this appears to be the oldest extent thread: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/my-current-game-of-civ2.1/ dating from Oct 26, 2000.

Good work on keeping these forums running for 21 years guys that is pretty impressive! I've been looking at a lot of civ site in the way back machine and very few have survived the decades.

The_J and Valka D'Ur like this.
  10. Valka D'Ur

You've done some really dedicated searching!

(btw; I just took a peek at your blog - you have some fantastic photos there! :) There are several travel threads in the Off-Topic forum, posted by warpus, who has been posting photos and videos from various trips he's taken over the years.)

rrreese likes this.
  11. rrreese

rrreese Chieftain

Thanks! I'll check it out.