What happens if two vassals declare war each other?

rmontaruli

Prince
Hi there, i have a question i like to know the answer before it happens.

I'm playing as France.
I vassalized both England and Spain.
What happens when Protestantism is found, and England converts, while Spain not?
Does Spain declare war to England as usual?
And if so, what would be my role in this situation? I'm master of both England and Spain and i'm usually involved in their wars...

The correct answer is that they should not be able to declare war on each other. I am not entirely sure that is actually the case. I will check.

The correct answer is that England stops being your vassal and Spain joins you in a crusade against them.

At least, that's what happened when I was playing as Spain fairly recently and I was master of France and England when Protestantism spawned.

This also happens (happened?) if you vassalize two civs with a conqueror event relationship -- e.g. vassalizing Spain and Moors early will lose you a vassal once Spain's reconquista event fires. Not sure if that still happens though.

Actually according to the code vassals should always choose to tolerate the Reformation.

Actually according to the code vassals should always choose to tolerate the Reformation.
It is wierd - in my last game my vassal Peru declared war on me after turning protestant when I had chosen counter-reformation. Unfortunately I do not have a save file...

Weird. I am considering changing the rules so that vassals always follow their master's choice. That should also prevent those wars. In either case it's preferable than losing a random vassal in this way.

If anyone has a save where this occurs please let me know.

The following thing happened in my game.

I'm France. England and Spain my vassals.
HRE found Protestantism in Frankfurt.
Catholicism disappeared from all English cities replaced by Protestantism, and English converted to Protestantism.
Nothing happened to Spain.
Protestantism spread in some cities of mine.

None declared war.

Good for me.
I can spread Protestantism in Paris and build the third Cathedral there, to multiply culture...

Top Bottom