What happens if you get the Great Library while you have a tech lead?

Roberto Tomba

Chieftain
Do you get the new techs as they become available? Seems that you should (the Great Library of Alexandria was built over time, not instantaneously the moment the building was constructed). Just did this in a game recently while I had the most advanced civ. Nothing happened, but I'm wondering if somethine ever will. Thanks in advance...

it will give you tech if 2 other civ already have it.

Not sure if you have to know the civ or if it'S all civ on map.

My understanding of the great Library is that it gives you any tech advance that two other civs have. If you have the tech lead, you cannot benefit from this unless two civs take a different tech path than you and get an advancement you don't have yet.

The benefit of the Great Library at this point is to keep it out of the hands of another civ so they aren't benefitting from your superior tech and that of another civ

Yep....it's always good to keep those pesky rivals of yours away from a Wonder...particularly one that could give someone YOUR techs! :)

Originally posted by Roberto Tomba
What happens if you get the Great Library while you have a tech lead?

Not much. ;)

But they're right; it's nice to have it if only to keep it out of other Civ's hands. And don't forget the culture. :king:

:jump:

unless you've missed some techs then the GL wont help on the tech front if you are well in the lead BUT if you are going for a culture victory (one city 20,000 culture points) then I'd say its a must - or it is for me:) .

Originally posted by Roberto Tomba
Do you get the new techs as they become available? Seems that you should (the Great Library of Alexandria was built over time, not instantaneously the moment the building was constructed). Just did this in a game recently while I had the most advanced civ. Nothing happened, but I'm wondering if somethine ever will. Thanks in advance...

The Library continues to give you other civs techs until someone discovers education....it's not a one-time deal, like Theory of Evolution.

Originally posted by kundor

The Library continues to give you other civs techs until someone discovers education....it's not a one-time deal, like Theory of Evolution.

No, thats slightly incorrect. Also, to answer an above, not quoted question, It only gives you techs known to at least 2 other civs THAT YOU HAVE MET. If you only know 1 other Civ, youll never get any tech from the GLibrary.

As for kundor's statement, its not until SOMEONE gets education, its until YOU get education. I have played a couple of games where Im sooooo far behind in tech, due to isolation on a small continent, that when I finally get in contact with 2 other civs, the Great Library will give me a LOT of techs -- once all the way up to Navigation and Military Tradition. Since I got the whole Middle Ages tree in one turn, INCLUDING Education, the GLibrary worked the entire turn. pretty neat, if you ignore hte fact that I wasn't doing so well in the game, being so ungodly tech-deficient. ;)

Top Bottom