What happens to my DLC's if my pc crashes??

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Bob_, May 3, 2011.

1. Bob_

Bob_ Warlord

I was just wondering what would happen to all my downloaded content of steam once I lose all my data. Do I have to buy anything again or does steam remember I bought that once? Is there any way to make a backup of these while my pc is alright?

Who does know something about that?
    Thanks for answering

2. Shurdus

Shurdus Am I Napoleon?

Steam remembers, so you just download it again.

3. fat_tonle

fat_tonle Prince

Just don't forget your steam password or how to retrieve your account info.

4. bamboothief

bamboothief Chieftain

It remembers, this is I love steam. I don't have to worry about missing CD and cd-key.

5. DudeBoyz

DudeBoyz Chieftain

Yeah - I just totally goofed up my system when I was applying then removing patches and DLC's and I guess my registry got all messed up. So I reinstalled my Windows, installed the client and spent hours downloading all the stuff. I'm going to make an offline backup this time of the steam downloads - I swear I am! lol... (I always forget to do that).

I still don't like Steam, but I'm learning at least to use it.

6. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

you cant lose purchases from steam lol. steam has aspects that arent ideal but in this case you just download it again if that takes too long do it overnight.

7. anandus

anandus Errorist

And if Steam is installed on a different disk than the disk on which the operating system is installed, then (after a crash and reinstall) you only have to run the steam-application and it reinstalls itself and all the games that were installed previous to the reinstall of the OS are back.
    No need to redownload if it's already on your computer :)

Of course this only works if Steam is installed on a different disk than the operating system and unfortunately by default it does install on the same disk (in Program Files).

8. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

not a big deal for downloading steam for many since steam isn't too large. downloading civ v though maybe you want to grab a cup of coffee or go to bed. still not too bad though as long as you don't have a habit of crashes! if you do though maybe focus on that first since it will prevent gaming regardless.

9. anandus

anandus Errorist

Your absolutely right about that.

I, being the nerd I am, reinstall Windows two or three times a year. And I have quite a lot of games on Steam (447Gb at the last check).
    So I'm rather glad I don't have to redownload my games time and time again :p

10. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

well most os will let you keep installations/personal data even when you reinstall so unless its corrupted you can often keep the games. 447 gb would take forever on most machines wow.

11. anandus

anandus Errorist

Offtopic:
    Yeah, it's a lot,
    For some reason I want to have the games I own on Steam on my computer even if I don't play them at the moment. I know I could just download them when I'm going to play them, but I want them 'safe' on my harddisk. It's a bit of a weird habit.
    (and if you own things like "The Complete Total War pack" then it eats up diskspace like crazy :p )

12. troytheface

troytheface Deity

hated the idea of that "Steam" crap. what the hell is steam? a third party whatever game thing that you have to turn on

then i saw how it worked and got Rome Total War for about 4 bucks and played that for awhile because i forgot and then like 4 DLC's because i was bored

the point?

the point is Thrace or Romania as a DLC because they would be new and spartacus came from thrace and Romania had knights

and Civ5 is superior to Rome Totla War even tho it shouldn't be and there is a Trojan War mod that is like way over the top and well done and you play it once and then its over and you don;t want to play it again

the evidence is clear- Steam- defined- water vapor - liquid to non liquid

13. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

impressive points indeed

Steam can allow money to turn into vapor without proper precaution! almost like the magica lightning bolt spell on the ally LOL

however the money is not lost, swirling about you still have the source of it and that is grounded in a fluid shape which isnt as much oxymoron as expected.

the evidence is definitely clear: liquid to non liquid asset purchase for recreation is a sound investment on steam.

14. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

:eek:
    I couldn't download that much in the same month, my ISP has a 300GB limit. Are most of them stable? Having updates to all of them might be problematic too.

15. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Whoa, I haven't heard of downstream limits in a long time...I've heard of upstream although haven't had any problems uploading 100 gb in some months.

Different games are optimized better or worse for steam (I stand by that civ V didn't do it very well which is part of the community hate for it). Some games function very well there.

From an economic standpoint, I view steam purchases like a corporation investing in a foreign country that can "nationalize" all of your assets; different countries carry variant risk in this regard. Steam's is reasonably low for the amount of money typically invested because it does do things like allow DLC redownload.

16. DudeBoyz

DudeBoyz Chieftain

AT&T has 150GB download limit per month for DSL and 250GB for their DSL+TV package.

Comcast has 250GB for both Internet and TV, I believe.

It's happening all the time. Some news articles I have read call it the "Netflix" tax. Now that Comcast bought NBC, they don't want people turning to Netflix for their content perhaps.

Sucks. :(