1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What happens to my duplicate imported resources?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Herod, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Lynnes

Lynnes King

Yep, that's exactly the reason why I hope that there will be some changes in the future, that will grant additional amenities for extra copies of luxuries. ^^

2. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

Yeah, I can understand not letting a city get +2 from you having 2 copies of a luxury, but it seems pretty obvious to me that if you have 8 cities, if I have 2 copies of silk in my empire, every city should simply get +1 from silk. A 3rd copy in this instance will do nothing. Or even if they gave diminishing returns, so the first copy was +4 and every other copy was +2, I'd be fine with that as well.

Zaarin likes this.
  3. c4c6

c4c6 Prince

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  4. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Yes I am fairly confident they will not allow extra copies to provide more amenities. After all it is no longer such a luxury if there is a lot of it.
    The extra copies from other sources cannot be traded which is a tad anoying
    The extra copies you have can be traded and even civs that hate you will try and get them from you. They are a strong bargaining card, especially as the AI does not settle on luxuries well.

5. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

I assume they originally intended for multiple copies of a Luxury to provide more Amenities, but then changed their minds. But they probably accidentally left the code in, which is why it's still a possibility. That would also explain why the AI thinks it's a "fair deal" to trade me a Luxury I already have. "You want to trade me Silver that I already own for a lump sum of Gold and some GPT? Um, no thanks."

6. Lynnes

Lynnes King

A lot of people would like to see something like that, so even if they won't change the vanilla rules, I really hope they are going to make this aspect of the game easily* moddable!

*without having to modify the dll

7. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

The AI will always trade you something you do not have first and rarely and if desperate will trade what you have and when it does so, considers it a great deal so I think it's just giving an extra diplomatic choice

8. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

While I initially balked at the suggestion, the more I think about it the more I like the "+2 from additional copies" idea. That way, having multiple copies of a Luxury isn't pointless, but it also doesn't make Luxury trading pointless either.

If you have 2 Silk, you'll get +6 Amenities (+4 from 1st copy,+2 from 2nd copy) rather then just the +4 you currently get. But you can still trade one away for, say, Salt and get +8 Amenities (+4 from Silk, +4 from Salt).

WillowBrook, Lynnes and Zaarin like this.
  9. c4c6

c4c6 Prince

The "human part" (so that the human can play with the changed rule) will be quite easy, but the "AI part" is harder ... doing just the former, the AI will be 'not aware' of the "new possibility" and simply not using any second copy for its own happiness.

(Boy, was I disappointed, when I made a civ2scenario with a nice AI-player start location with jungleBanana and it simply changed the jungle to grasslands, because the civ2AI was not aware of bonus resources ...)

Victoria likes this.
  10. legalizefreedom

legalizefreedom Inefficiency Expert

I like that. I'll take it further and say the 3rd copy and above is worth +1.

Thanks for the info!

The obvious conclusion to the confusion is that we need the rules spelled out better and the UI to better accommodate this info.

11. player1 fanatic

player1 fanatic Fanatic

Well it is already better then at release, when you had no idea which luxuries you were importing or exportng.

12. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator