1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

What Happens to Piety...?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by bcaiko, Feb 21, 2012.

1. bcaiko

bcaiko Chieftain

Hey folks,

So with the addition of the Faith resource and Religion in this expansion, what are your predicitions as to what adjustments will be made to the Piety Social Policy track? It seems obvious that Piety will incorporate Faith bonuses in some way.

But what will happen with all the cultural bonuses Piety currently provides? Will they just go away? Will they be moved into other (or new?) Social Policies? It seems to me that there has to be a Social Policy geared toward Culture buffs, as currently it's exceedingly difficult to get a Cultural Victory even with Piety (IMHO).

...unless the Cultural Victory ends up incorporating Religion as a requirement somehow...

Thoughts?

2. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Chieftain

I have a feeling what they'll add 2 more SP trees for culture and espionage, so Piety will work for religion. Costs will be rebalanced, surely.

3. OrsonM

OrsonM Our man

I fear that, similarly to City States, they'll become too prominent to pass on. As in, you MUST get that every single game in order to have a winning chance, I like the idea of having a lot of options and that each is just as promising (like how we can choose the Liberty policy tree or choose to lose that game... because that's how Civ V rolls).

I guess it's about balancing the new things then.

4. Montov

Montov Chieftain

No word about changing or additions to the Social Policies. It would be good for marketing to name such an expansion or addition, so I assume this doesn't change a lot. Probably some minor tweaks, like a couple of patches, but nothing drastic.

I would like to see some extra bonuses for Commerce.

5. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Temporary Configuration

[SPECULATION]
    I don't think theyll add any trees, rather the existing ones are going to be reworked (again).
    I suspect that Piety will now focus on religion instead of culture, and Freedom wil be the new go to tree if you wannt a cultural victors.
    Order (which was imho overnerfed in the latest patch) might get espionage related policies because of the association with communism, and Autocracy will be tailored to wide empires like Order is now.
    [/SPECULATION]

6. CivilizedPlayer

CivilizedPlayer Chieftain

Speculation here too: they would have mentioned if there's two new social policy trees, so I doubt that. Piety will be reworked for religion, and my guess is Tradition or Honor will give some faith/culture bonuses, which would finally make them viable starting alternatives to Liberty.

7. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

I wouldn't mind seeing them add 2 new SP trees: one for Espionage and one that deals with the new religion "currency". My guess is they'll call the religion one Piety, and change the old Piety tree to something like "Artistry" to offset Rationalism. i.e. the two hemispheres of the brain being "thinking" and "feeling".

8. FeiLing

FeiLing Chieftain

Quite disappointing that there won't be new trees and no new social policies (added onto existing trees), as what you guys said is very likely true: If something was about to be added, they'd have advertized with it.

I could see changes to Autocracy and maybe Order influencing Espionage. And for Piety I can see Theocracy (10% more gold from Temples) be completely replaced and others (for e.g.) like Mandate of Heaven (happiness gives extra culture) be changed directly from a culture to a religion bonus or other like Reformation and Free Religion influencing both, culture and religion.

9. Fabiano79

Fabiano79 Chieftain

My bet too.

10. seasnake

seasnake Conquistador

I think this is the way it will work as well. I expect to see major overhauls to piety, order and autocracy given that there's a diplomatic issue (AI likes people who favor their policies) to consider from now on and espionage as well.

11. vonbach

vonbach Chieftain

I hope so. I'd love to see order and autocracy overhauled.
    Piety I assume they'll have to rework somehow.

12. Alexastor

Alexastor Chieftain

Good question, was wondering it myself what happens to piety.

13. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Chieftain

I am actually hoping they'll add two new trees, I kinda am sick of the old 10 trees, 12 would be nice, but I'd presume no, so I'm hoping there'll be more reasons for me to adopt them, I usually stick to the same trees for diffrent victories so I'd be a nice to change to have more to choose from.

14. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

As mentioned, the trees get reworked; not added too.

Piety of course becomes religious centric.

But the main thing I'm hoping while they are reworking is that they move Order & Autocracy opening up an era or two.

15. Tabarnak

Tabarnak Pô Chi Min

Piety for espionnage. We need a tree that will compete with rationalism and the OP RAs(unless they rework RAs like giving a % raise instead of insta-beakers).

Religions are about ressources and city states. Maybe some policies that can enhance a bit of them but not that much.

Maybe this is all wrong and they will simply add 2 more trees :D(and revamping others).

16. Nyanko

Nyanko Chieftain

If anything will be used for Espionage in the Social Policies I think it'd be Order; with the whole Communist spy ring thing to it.

17. Monthar

Monthar Chieftain

They did say Order, Autocracy and Freedom with have new effects on Diplomacy, so I'm betting those 3 tree are getting reworked.

18. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Chieftain

So will Rationalism and PIety. THey conflict each other. That's the idea behind it, doesn't mean they're gonna get re-worked.

If Liberty and Tradition were to conflict each other, they'd affect diplomacy as well.

19. CYZ

CYZ Toileteer

My guess is actually that there will be no policy branch geared for espionage or religion.

20. black213

black213 Chieftain

Tradition and Liberty conflicting would make sense.
    Tall vs wide.
    Monarchy vs republic.