1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What has been your favourite intro?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Sarkozy, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Sarkozy

Sarkozy Chieftain

We've seen many intro cinematics so far. Which do you still remember? Which still inspire you most?
    • CIV1 with 8bit-speaker sounds!

• CIV2 which somehow reminds my of Encarta before there was Wikipedia.

• CIV3 revolving around the Tower of Babel (CIV3)
    • CIV4 Travelling back in time to the sound of Baba Yetu

• CIV4> The Warlords expansion featuring, well, Warlords and siege weapons.

• CIV4> BTS featuring Araham Lincoln and American history
    • CIV5 Announcement illustrating quotes and buzzwords

• CIV5 From father to son

• CIV5> K&G showing knights and crusades

• CIV5> BNW dealing with Industrialization and Totalitarianism

• CIV5> BE and the colonization of a distant planet.
    • CIV6 Announcement with Sean Bean presenting milestones in history

• Civ6 From father to daughter
    My favourites are: 1) Civ6 Announcement, 2) Civ5 Announcement, 3) CIV4 Baba Yetu

The present one is nice but if you ask me, it got overshadowed by the epic announcement.

I would really be glad if someone could convert my favourite to the *.bk2 format!

2. Amrunril

Amrunril Emperor

I'm most partial to the Civ V and BE vanilla intros. The expansion and Civ VI videos do a good job of presenting compelling scenes, but none of them set the stage for the start of the game the way that these two do.

3. Zantetsuken

Zantetsuken Chieftain

Not a fan of the Civilization Revolution intro then? :lol:

4. Toastypie

Toastypie Chieftain

Civ 1. Brings back memories.

Then Civ IV

5. Takfloyd

Takfloyd Prince

Civ 3 had four different opening movies depending on version.

6. TruthfulCake

TruthfulCake Prince

I actually don't get the acclaim for Civ 5's intro, but that's just me. I like Beyond Earth's intro, because it still captures the feel of human progress, but manages to do so without resorting to a collage of different historic achievements. I like how poignant it is despite its simplicity.

Civ 4 has a nice intro, whose impact is largely lent to it by an excellent score.

I like Civ 6's intro too, for reasons I once explained in one of the threads here but can't be bothered to dig up.

7. tranx

tranx Civilized

Sorry but for me the Call to Power intro is the best. Exploration, conquest, progress, setbacks, achievements, victory... it's all in that short movie.

But yeah I like Baba Yetu too.

8. Sarkozy

Sarkozy Chieftain

So I actually missed out on a few installments. Thanks for these additions.

Do you know how to convert an intro?

I downloaded the Civ6 Announcement from YouTube , trimmed it using a free program called "Shortcut" and then tried to "bink" it with the RAD video tool. However the conversion process doesn't even start. It cannot read my file although mgp and avi are supported.

9. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Would have been helpful to have youtube links in the OP, I don't remember half of them. I've played Civ games from Civ2 onward.

I'll just go with Civ 6 for now unless I can remember any others.

And don't forget SMAC. I do actually remember that one, but the intro video wasn't that great. Most of the meat was in the game itself (like great wonder movies).

10. Jarms48

Jarms48 Prince

Brave New World and Beyond Earth, amazing cinematics. The former gives me goosebumps, it's inspirational, gives us a brief glance back at our modern history, and ends with such an uplifting message. The latter, whilst sad, is filled with hope.

I was actually pretty disappointed with Civ 6's opening cutscene.

11. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

God and Kings intro gave me the chills at 1am on release day. Did not expect the epic soaring intro celebrating the Renaissance.

The best expansion intro for sure.

For vanilla intros ; Civ 1 is special and in its own category.

Civ 3 was ok. nothing stood out. A lot of shots of feet and legs.

Civ 4 started stong but got rediculous unrealistic with the 'king' summoning his empire . Baba Yetu is the GOAT though

Civ 5 vanilla intro had good production and some great shots. Still the best looking of them all in its scale and scope. The Samurai taking the castle is still a great shot

Civ 6 is fairly good but felt short. Didnt care for the stylized chatacters. In terms of music A new course is good but I would have preferred Sogno di Volare instead of the more muted remix

Vanilla intro verdict Civ 6 = Civ 4 > Civ 5 > Civ 3 > Civ 2

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
  12. Katakanja

Katakanja Emperor

BE for me. The main series games' intros always feel a little too much like a greatest hits compilation of human history which, whilst certainly interesting to watch, always comes off feeling a bit too much like an academically-oriented 'look at all this cool stuff we've done'. The BE intro manages to hit certain emotional notes that the others don't IMO, and it does it very effectively in a short space of time. I wonder if Firaxis themselves consider it to be their best work - when you think about it and compare it to the Civ VI opening, you can see that they've tried to repeat a similar dynamic between the father and daughter there too.