What has the world come to?

tombeef

King
Recently at a LAA baseball game, a man sued the team for sex discrimination when red tote bags were handed out to women 18 and older. Why he needs one I don't know.

Anyways, what is the world coming to? I think there is a bigger subject here. Are we nearing a point where there are absolutely no distinctions between different people? Maybe someday, everyone will do the exact same thing, have the exact same thing, and be the exact same thing. Sounds like some books that we all know of. Granted, we are nowhere near this, but still, you continue to see more cases like these, where people try to make everything the same. Yep, fairness comes first. This is so stupid.

The man was the only one to file a complaint. My question is, why didn't any people sue for age discrimination, afterall, you had to be at least 18?

Article:

SANTA ANA, Calif. -- A man who was denied a red nylon tote bag during a Mother's Day promotion at an Angels baseball game has filed a sex and age discrimination lawsuit against the team.

The class action claim filed by Michael Cohn, a Los Angeles psychologist, alleges that thousands of males and fans under age 18 are entitled to $4,000 in damages each because they were treated unequally at last May's promotion. Women over 18 received the gifts.

Angel officials said Cohn was the only person who complained about the giveaway and that the team is proud of its promotions.

"Historically, we have tried to appeal on those special days that might be nationally noted holidays or special occasions," team spokesman Tim Mead said, adding he could not comment directly on the suit because he hadn't seen it. "We have tailored programs or giveaways accordingly."

The team responded to a complaint letter that Cohn wrote last June by sending him four tote bags and a letter stating the team "ran out of the item that day and had to order more."

"They claimed they didn't have any more bags, but my client said there was a mountain of bags stacked so high a show dog couldn't have jumped over them," said Alfred Rava, Cohn's San Diego-based attorney.

Cohn could not be reached for comment.

This weekend's Mother's Day promotion will offer tote bags to the first 25,000 fans over age 18, rather than cater specifically to women. Mead would not say whether the change was in response to Cohn's complaint.

Rava said the altered promotion still violates the civil rights of fans under age 18.

Cohn's suit names as defendants the Angels and the Corinthian Colleges, which sponsored the event through an affiliate.

Source

Just trying to make a quick buck, I'd guess.

Mathilda said:
Just trying to make a quick buck, I'd guess.

This is going to prevent anyone from doing anything based on sex, race, age, etc. Getting a tote bag doesn't make one group of people "better."

:lol: What an idiot.

I think we need to punish people for stupid lawsuits. If it's a Mother's Day giveaway, it makes sense for men to not be given things. If you stick a screwdriver in your eye, it's not the manufacturers fault, and they don't have to make you and your family independantly wealthy. We've turned into a nation of whiners.

Elrohir said:
:lol: What an idiot.

I think we need to punish people for stupid lawsuits. If it's a Mother's Day giveaway, it makes sense for men to not be given things. If you stick a screwdriver in your eye, it's not the manufacturers fault, and they don't have to make you and your family independantly wealthy. We've turned into a nation of whiners.

I agree. Its for MOTHERS DAY. Men cannot be mothers why should he be given a bag? We already have a fathers day.

I really hate lawsuits like this. They waste the courts time and it gives less time for real lawsuits and concerns.

MobBoss said:
This is precisely why the United States needs tort reform.

Btw, the guy in question is a whacko. Psychologist indeed. Methinks the guy has been writing too many of his own prescriptions.

I agree like in my above post, civil lawsuits are getting out of hand.

I think the majority of civil lawsuits shouldnt even make thier way to court but should be subject by a jury to see if its "worthy" to even present the case for it in court.

When political correctness gets out of hand...

Stupid people descriminating... If those people get away with the under 18 descrimination, then what's to stop others from suing the government about laws that deny people under 21 from buying alcohol, stating it's descriminating against people under 21? :shake:

rmsharpe said:
There needs to be more, not less, lawsuits like these. Right-thinking Americans will eventually wake up to this nonsense.

I am hoping that was sarcastic. These frivilous lawsuits are not needed.

Bluemofia said:
Stupid people descriminating... If those people get away with the under 18 descrimination, then what's to stop others from suing the government about laws that deny people under 21 from buying alcohol, stating it's descriminating against people under 21?

That's so crazy, it just might work...

America....where you can sue anyone for just about anything.

Wow, that guy is a moron.

:shake:

Good, screw the system.

The problem is:

1. It's California, land of liberal judges who never saw a lawsuit they wouldn't let proceed to trial.
2. Too much "political correctness." It's become a new form of tyranny.
3. Too many lawyers
4. Too many greedy jerks out for a buck.
and did I mention
5. Too many lawyers.

That's why California needs to break off of continental America and float away, FAR AWAY!

TORT REFORM!

7ronin said:
The problem is:

1. It's California, land of liberal judges who never saw a lawsuit they wouldn't let proceed to trial.
2. Too much "political correctness." It's become a new form of tyranny.
3. Too many lawyers
4. Too many greedy jerks out for a buck.
and did I mention
5. Too many lawyers.

Bold edited in. This is way too much of an influence on people. Say it like it is, say it like it is.

MobBoss said:
This is precisely why the United States needs tort reform.

Absolutely agree.

Top Bottom