1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What have I done wrong in my Greek Empire game?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by NobleJms, Sep 26, 2010.

1. NobleJms

NobleJms Chieftain

So in my first Civ 5 game as Alexander playing on a standard Earth map, I managed to form an empire on lands occupied by modern-day Russia (except east Siberia though). To achieve this, I had to puppet two city states in the process, but it was done around 0 BC and it's now 1000 years later. Mind you that throughout this whole time I never insulted nor demanded anything from the AI nations.

All the sudden, everyone declared war on me right after my golden age started, calling me a warmonger, even my friend United States who controls India. :mad: Should I consider this as good AI or just the AI being plain aggressive?

So there's Catherine from China, Caesar from Africa, Washington from India, and the Persian King from western Europe all attacking me from all sides. I have to say the AI is indeed dumb in fighting tactically, I was able to hold them off for 20 turns before being finally outmanned and losing my first precious luxury/iron city. Then I had to leave it at that and peaced with Catherine.

But Caesar had amassed a huge army (about 10 units) from Africa and MY OH MY, the way he placed his armies....melee in front, catapults and archers in the back, supported by calvary unit in the flank...and MOST AMAZING OF ALL, they all march in unison, looks like it's being controlled by Sid Meier himself. And it has just taken down my primary citadel/chokepoint city and marching straight to my capital. :sad:

I can't believe this is happening. I was #1 in everything, had almost all luxury resources and plenty of iron mines. And I'm now losing because either game is bugged not to let me have any ally, or I have done something wrong....

Is it possible to ally with an AI if you're a strong nation?

2. digitalcraft

digitalcraft Warlord

The AI is just plain schizophrenic. They'll declare war on you sooner or later for no obvious reason and basically everyone will hate you after that.

3. Packerguru12

Packerguru12 Chieftain

Maybe you just got too complacent and didn't notice how the other nations were reacting to your expansion. I know after I've taken out city-states or severely injured other civs, the other civs are more hostile against me

4. Jimbo30

Jimbo30 Prince

Wait, you were strong, then the AI decided you were too strong, so they attacked you, now you are weaksauce.

You realise this is what most of the megawhiners have been looking for since release? Consider yourself lucky. :D

Just kidding, but umm yeah...the AI isn't just going to let you hoover up techs/city states while fobbing them off with the odd bribe and ignoring your military.

5. Hyspasist

Hyspasist Chieftain

Did you have any city state buddies, or did you wipe them out upon meeting them? The AI doesn't take kindly to other civ's taking out city states either.

I've been playing up the "Hellenic League" ability we get as Greeks, typically buddying up with a military state and a maritime state as soon as possible and make them my BFF's by doing their various tasks or giving them cash. Gets you extra supply and a guaranteed military unit every so many turns (pending on game speed, 17 on my marathon setting). Then my expansion is planned around keeping those city states as buffer nations between myself and my suspected rivals, and once war breaks out I have a nice cushion for which to rest on, especially the military ones since they tend to just go nuts with unit production.

Constant contact, discussion, and trade has been an important factor as well. Long as you can keep agreements fair and don't make demands or deals they find disagreeable, you'll generally wind up in their good books.

I've been doin' this pattern of behavior and it's kept me out of most of the fighting in my games while I've typically been the economic or cultural powerhouse.

6. Aretii

Aretii Chieftain

The AI WILL punish you for a cardboard cutout military. Remember, the AI players are out to win the game! Friendship doesn't mean as much to them as it did in prior installments.

In contrast, the city-states are the allies you're looking for. They win the game by surviving. If you're their friend, they will go to war for you.

7. sbrylski06

sbrylski06 Warlord

There's your answer. The A.I. is not going to let you win because you're a nice guy.

8. Black PrinceIV

Black PrinceIV Chieftain

Alexander my ally just became hostile on me for no reason. It's annoying because I'll take over a city and then 100 turns later everyone's complaining about me being a warmonger.

9. Takeda

Takeda Warlord

In my most recent game as England I have an incredibly huge, incredibly advanced military. Much larger than any of my Civ rivals. The funny thing is, no AI declares war on me.... ever, and I'm playing for a space race victory.

I think the people who moan about the AI just haven't given it enough of a chance to really demonstrate all of it's characteristics. The AI still sucks at waging war, but the diplomatic/strategic AI really isn't all that bad.

The more I play this game the more I like it. I still think Civ IV BTS is the better game, but after a rather poor first impression this game is starting to grow on me.

10. Bigwilly 16

Bigwilly 16 Chieftain

I get that the AI will start to target you if you're out in front, but it seems common so far in my 4 games played for them to all, or almost all, to attack more or less at the same time. It almost feels as though that's the AI's "even up" tactic. I fell to it the last 2 games until I learned to not extend the empire in a line, but rather to shore up near to the capital first. That way, at least when the time comes for the gang war, I've not handicapped trying to protect a far flung empire.

I wish they ganged up less, and were more effective at waging war instead. It's not just they make use of poor tactics in war, but why is it that so far it's very common for someone with a lot of techs, big empire, yet they have a fairly large army of more or less obsolete units compared to what I'm fielding? That's what kills the AI more than anything. And this is on King.

11. Lakart

Lakart Chieftain

[joke] I actually kind of have a solution for this. Build up until you can get Riflemen, spam them, spam tons of them, I mean they cant even fit in your cities anymore tons of them. Then put them all on automated patrol. Then do whatever you want. Someone goes to war with you? You have horribly majorly spammed riflemen EVERYWHERE, likely IN THEIR COUNTRY and you start taking their cities from the inside out. [/joke]

Seriously, it seems to me that no matter what you do, the AI eventually hate you. And you cant trust alliances. I wish you could, but you just cant, so have a decent enough army and build somewhere you can bottleneck enemy invasions.

12. SilverKnight

SilverKnight Prince

Lakart, you used the wrong tags. I think you meant [not a bad idea]. ;)

Currently working on an England/Earth/Huge game, spawned in Illinois, and have only the Aztecs in Alaska and the Iroquois in Brazil to deal with in the "New World". Which is funny since I sent caravels to the "Old World"... anyway.

Since I am one of the only civs able to cross the ocean, and am thus too far away to attack, I'm actually about to partake in a dogpile with some other civs--Ottomans and Arabia--against none other than America (spawned in the Middle East, the historical goofs in this game are hilarious). And I've been quite the warmonger, letting my fast English navy pound the crap out of any civ that crosses a city-state anywhere near the coast.

So it does go the other way around, it just depends on the circumstances.

SilverKnight

13. Lakart

Lakart Chieftain

Honestly, I would do it, I would. But when I got to the point where the game gets pissy that you explored all the "land" and wont let your units auto move around anymore? I would trash the game and start a new one and never do it again.

14. NobleJms

NobleJms Chieftain

The problem is how do you spam rifleman? Each of my rifleman takes at least 10 turns to come out, and it's not gonna help when you're fighting 5 nations at once, with the war going on for half a millenium.

15. Lakart

Lakart Chieftain

Noble, the point is to get to Riflemen first and then just constantly build them until you have "too many".