What if City States and Barbarian Clans become "minor civilizations" for CIV7?

BuchiTaton

Emperor
Barbarian clans turn to be a pretty interesting game mode, it is fun and do a better work representing the interaction between big civilizations and group of less organized peoples and smaller states. So the idea is to have this mechanic since base CIV7 to have a more interesting gameplay especially on early eras.

The game could have two kind of "minor civilizations" the Agrarian Peoples and the Nomadic Peoples, their characteristic could be like this:

> AGRARIAN PEOPLES
- Have fixed villages than can easily become on cities.
- Are defensive.
- Provide related techs and resources like irrigation and maize.
- Good to gain food, gold, production and science.

> NOMADIC PEOPLES
- Have camps that can be turn on tribe (settler-like unit) and move, harder to become cities.
- Are more agressive.
- Provide militar techs and resources like stirrups and horses.
- Good to hire mercenaries and raid other civs.

Now beyond those two big groups each kind of People (Minor civs) would gives you specific bonus, techs, units, buildings and/or resources, like current city states, but this time we have the chance to interact more with them and even represent cultures that would be weird to see as city states.

Many of this peoples are the natives of X or Y region that are on the shadow of other civs. The agrarian villages would have names of locations (cities) while the nomadic camps would have names of the different tribes of that people.

Some examples of peoples (here organized on groups but each one would be unique):
> MEDITERRANEAN: Minoans, Etruscans, Iberians/Basques, Thracians/Dacians
> EUROPEAN: Finnish/Sami, Balts, Goths, Gauls (yes because Ireland is the playable civ :p)
> AFRICA: Numidians/Berbers, Nubians, Songhai, Kanembu, Somali, Akan, Hausa, Yoruba, Swahili, Kongolese, Zimbabwean (many options that could be or not playable)
> MIDDLE EAST: Elamites, Hurrians, Colchians/Georgians (lets play Armenia this time) Hittites (if cant be playable), Arameans
> TARTARIA: Scythians, Gokturks, Khitans, Magyars (Bulgarians insted of Hungarians?)
> GREATER IRAN: Sogdians, Bactrians, Kushans (If Gurkani is playable)
> INDIA: Harappans, Gondi, Manipuri, Nepalese
> INDOCHINA: Champ, Viet, Kmer, Shan/Lao (Siam and Burma playable?)
> CHINA: Tibetans, Jurchen, Hmong, Tangut
> INDONESIA: Malay, Tagalog (Javanese playable)
> AUSTRALASIA: Melanesian*, Papuan*, Maori (Tonga is playable)
> SIBERIAN: Komi, Evenks, Yakuts, Emishi/Ainu
> NORTH AMERICAN: Inuit, Cree, Muskogee, Navajos, Haida, Oceti Sakowin* (Haudenosaunee playable?)
> MESOAMERICA & CARIBBEAN: Zapotecs, Totonacs, Purepechas, Caribs, Arawaks
> SOUTH AMERICA: Muiscas, Chimus, Guarani, Tapuias*, Mapuches

What do you think about this?
Which "minor civs" would you like to have and what are going to be their bonus?

Last edited:
With Barbarian Clans already a step in this direction, I'll be surprised if this doesn't happen.

I was always interested in picking several city-states (or peoples or minor civs, whatever you want to call them) to play as, each with their own bonus. Of course this might require a new game mode because I doubt you'll be accumulating enough points to win a standard victory.

Civ 4 handled this idea the wrong way with named Barbarian tribes. The combination of Barbarian Clans and city-states is a better solution, albeit not a perfect one. But I quite like this idea. If diplomacy with them was handled properly, I think it'd be both a great mechanic and great for immersion.

Civ 4 handled this idea the wrong way with named Barbarian tribes. The combination of Barbarian Clans and city-states is a better solution, albeit not a perfect one. But I quite like this idea. If diplomacy with them was handled properly, I think it'd be both a great mechanic and great for immersion.
I didn't play Civ 4, how did it implement it wrongly?

Screenshot 2021-03-31 8.49.03 PM.png

Civ 4:Makes a Native American Civ

also Civ 4:Makes Native American tribes Barbarian groups

I actually would prefer if all Civs would be considered Barbarians at the start until you gain the ability to perform diplomacy

I mean, the only thing on that list that is a city is the frighteningly misspelled "Teoihuacan." :p
That's worse than Sean Bean's Mispronunciations. :cringe:

Also, I just realized Illinois is a Barbarian City. Do they mean Chicago when they say Illinois is a Barbarian City or something else?

City-states are already "minor civs." All they need are static leader portraits and ambient tracks and they don't really need much changing.

I do think, and I've said this a dozen times elsewhere on these boards, that barbarians should be reworked and combined with goody huts and given actual tribal identities. I think it's incredibly backwards that we still have "barbarians" in the game when they could be humanized as real peoples.

City-states are already "minor civs." All they need are static leader portraits and ambient tracks and they don't really need much changing.

I do think, and I've said this a dozen times elsewhere on these boards, that barbarians should be reworked and combined with goody huts and given actual tribal identities. I think it's incredibly backwards that we still have "barbarians" in the game when they could be humanized as real peoples.
I do think that barbarian clans mode has made them go in a good direction.

I agree that it would be nice if maybe encountering tribal villages, and receiving gifts from them, could easily turn them into city-states/minor nations faster in future game. The aggressive tribes would still work similar to how the barbarian clans work now.

Top Bottom