what if hannibal had burned down rome

holy king

Deity
to participate in the big "what if" madness:

what if hannibal had had better intelligence after the battle of cannae and conquered and burned down rome?

would the carthagininian empire rise to something comparable to the roman empire?
or would europe take a much more celtic and germanic influenced course in the long run?

Hannibal marching on Rome without a siege train is laughable. Cause that's what he didn't have at that point, and Rome was one of the best fortified places in the world. Plus, the Qarthadastim army had suffered tremendously from that battle as well (their casualties were not negligible at all...pretty poor double envelopment if you ask me, honestly Antiochos III did a far better job at Panion in 198 BC), and wasn't really in a state to continue. Hannibal attempting to lay siege to Rome would probably amount to the same thing that Pyrrhos' famous attempt did...that is, goose egg.

Rome wouldn't be there any more.

Rome wouldn't be there any more.
But it's a false premise. You might as well ask about the results of Japanese Zeros bombing the White House on December 9, 1941, to follow up the victory at Pearl Harbor.

Arwon's logically sound.

If Hannibal did burn down Rome, it wouldn't be there anymore because it burned down...

If Hannibal did take Rome, then it's latin allies would have probably switched sides. If they'd have to ally with Rome, then they'd ally with someone more powerful than Rome.
But Hannibal couldn't take Rome. There is a damned good reason that the best general of the age didn't act and attack Rome. He didn't got the siege train, he didn't got the men, he didn't got the money too. I don't question the tremendous effect that capturing and burning Rome would have (if he could get past the fortifications, the nasty urban warfare, and the still extremely significant military forces that Rome could put into the field), but there is simply no question of it occurring. I again point you to the Japan analogy, or to that of Marlborough simply walking into Versailles after the Battle of Ramillies and burning it down, ending Louis XIV's reign early and ruining France for decades. It wasn't going to happen. If you want to beat Rome, you look earlier, to Pyrrhos. By the time of the Second Punic War, they were to all intents and purposes unbeatable by any power in the Mediterranean save the Arche Seleukeia.

Sigh. Dach, you're absolutely right, but why do you have to ruin our fun? Are you that much of a killjoy? The question's not whether Hannibal could have taken Rome - he couldn't, as you and I well know - but what would happen if by some ungodly miracle he did.

I think this was discussed in another thread back when I first joined, along the lines of "What if Carthage won the 2nd Punic War?" We all pretty much decided the result would be a Carthaginian Civil War, as the Carthaginian leadership - excepting, of course, the Barcas themselves - would almost certainly have tried to kill Hannibal, fearing his power. If they succeeded, they might just have won. If they lost, Hannibal would annihilate them. Either way, the distraction enables Italy to throw off the Africans, and you probably end up with some sort of Greek city-state style coalition there. What happens after that is anyone's guess.

I got a better idea, what if Hannibal had won at Cannae, and in an extraordinary coincidence, Rome burnt to the ground (lets say a Carthaginian spy does it, or some idiot burns down their home and the fire spreads)

Or what if the Tunguska meteorite hit Rome at exactly the same time Hannibal was winning the Battle of Cannae, and for absolutely no logical reason, the Aztecs arrived in Greece and started fighting Sparta?

seems like my thread got shot down... :blush:
Sigh. Dach, you're absolutely right, but why do you have to ruin our fun? Are you that much of a killjoy? The question's not whether Hannibal could have taken Rome - he couldn't, as you and I well know - but what would happen if by some ungodly miracle he did.
Dachs. I'm not a roof, but a bloody badger. :p And, well, okay. I just got really hyperexcited about a classical alternate history when it appears, as opposed to the Hitler stuff that always gets tossed around. It's always nice to see something around my area of expertise. :) As to 'shooting stuff down'...well, see later in the post.
Sharwood said:
I think this was discussed in another thread back when I first joined, along the lines of "What if Carthage won the 2nd Punic War?" We all pretty much decided the result would be a Carthaginian Civil War, as the Carthaginian leadership - excepting, of course, the Barcas themselves - would almost certainly have tried to kill Hannibal, fearing his power. If they succeeded, they might just have won. If they lost, Hannibal would annihilate them. Either way, the distraction enables Italy to throw off the Africans, and you probably end up with some sort of Greek city-state style coalition there. What happens after that is anyone's guess.
So, assuming Rome is somehow burned down, and Qarthadast has the aforementioned civil war (I pretty much agree; considering Hannibal's enemies in the Qarthadastim senate, it's almost inconceivable that they would simply let him Caesar himself into a position of supreme power...they had to be pushed into doing something like that after they lost a war, but having not done that they will fight like hell...so yeah, damaging civil war in the Safot Softim biQarthadast, with uncertain outcome - probably Barcid, Hannibal's family had Iberia after all), this is how I see the ancient Mediterranean in the coming decades.

I actually kind of like the idea of a Megale Hellenic coalition, as well as a Campanian one dominated by Capua, which was after all a bloody important state in Italia and one with significant ties to Qarthadast. Maybe they can form federal Leagues, like those of the Achaians and Aitolians, which had a pretty cool political structure. The Capuans and the Tarantines have got enough diplomatic pull with the Africans that they can reasonably expect to get accepted as allies, dominating their respective Leagues, with a relationship somewhat similar to that Rome had with its own alae. Neither of those really can outpower the other, so they and the Samnites will probably fight depressingly inconclusive wars, but be too powerful for a state like Qarthadast to muscle in on anyway. (Considering the beating that the Semites took from piddly-ass Syrakousai, I'm not too convinced on their ability to fight too well...mercantile states usually aren't the tops at land warfare, when they hire mercs to do most of the fighting especially.)

The impact on Greece will be interesting. Makedon under Philippos V is actually not doing too badly, and without even the token Roman aid to the coalition of states opposing him he can probably pull out an advantageous outcome to the First Makedonian War. As in, eradicating the Roman hold on coastal Illyria, which would be a huge plus, geopolitically and economically. Plus, the protector of the Achaians is gone. Instead of turning against Attalos, Rhodos, and the Chians, he may try to press his advantage in Greece proper, reestablishing the same kind of dominance that Makedon held under Philippos II and Alexandros. (This may be pie in the sky but I don't care.) So, long-term favorable to Makedon with extra inroads into Greece and perhaps southern Italy via the Illyrians.

Arche Seleukeia is about to GA, and big time. Megas Antiochos, one of the greatest rulers in world history, has got Panion and the Areios ahead of him, and barring ridiculous butterflies I can't see him doing any worse than he had in OTL. And no Magnesia (though also no intervention in Greece proper, which is probably a Good Thing as well)...well, that'll make the AS the most powerful state in the Mediterranean and Middle East, easily outperforming the Qarthadastim. I can definitely see them combining to wipe out the irksome Attalids in Pergamon, though after that a proxy war struggle with Makedonia will probably arise. Arche Seleukeia will be taking the role that Ptolemaic Egypt held in the Aigion before it starts sucking after Raphia. Without the defeat at Magnesia, AS has a fantastic chance of turning that position over the Pahlavan into a winner, perhaps using them as foederati. Depends a bit on chance, but I think that'll be enough to push them over the edge. Not sure about the effect on Baktria, but then again Baktria kind of defies the laws of history all the time.

Gauls will probably reclaim the territory in northern Italia that the Romans were just then colonizing (e.g. Placentia). Massilia, losing its connection to the Romans, will probably undergo some brief troubles but may come out ahead in the long run, carve out some of Transalpine Gaul for itself in a miniempire. The Etruscans...probably another federal state, maybe a reversion to the old Rasna leagues, though considering the Campanian example that may be unlikely.

So yeah...power vacuum in Italy will probably be manipulated for the gain of the Makedonians and the Qarthadastim, with none of the major powers coming out ahead in the near future. While the Arche Seleukeia is probably the biggest winner.

Oh, naked plug, but I'm writing an alternate history in the current NES AH thread (IV), which is around this time period...the first installment, posted about an hour ago, is mostly background and has to deal with the early wars of the Diadochi (and may be later developed by me into an article on the time period, it's sadly understudied...most people skip from the death of Alexandros to the rise of Rome :(), with the PoD at the very end, regarding Eumenes of Kardia's decision to not engage in the Battle of Gabiene in early 316 BC(E). Hopefully will turn this into something longer and solid in the coming weeks. :)

I got a better idea, what if Hannibal had won at Cannae, and in an extraordinary coincidence, Rome burnt to the ground (lets say a Carthaginian spy does it, or some idiot burns down their home and the fire spreads)
I don't think we even need to make that kind of assumptions to make this what-if to work.:)

How about we just assume that somehow Hannibal did manage to put a credible siege train together (some key Roman allies switching at an opportune moment for him or something), to make him able to have a crack at Rome itself?:scan:

My favourite obscure and non-exploted "what ifs":

-The 1848 revolutions succeed
-The Hapsburgs never inherit the Castillian and Aragonese crowns

-The 1848 revolutions succeed
But...but...the plausibility issues! :p

Some time ago, we in the NES forum discussed something vaguely like this, kind of; Cavaignac manages to hijack the elections and is put into power with a revanchist, Revolutionary government. He goes all Napoleon, helps the Italian 1848 Revolution succeed, and with the aid of the Hungarians annihilates the Habsburg Empire. But the negative side is that he brings Prussia, Russia, and the United Kingdom into the lists against France, and Prussia this time agrees with the Frankfurt proceedings, taking over leadership of a Grossdeutsches Reich, using the Prussian military to form the core of a hasty, poorly organized, but highly successful Germanic levee en masse that repels the French attack and forces them back behind the Rhine. So by 1851 there's something of a stalemate that was theoretically about to be broken as the opening of a NES, with Cavaignac preparing for renewed campaigning in Belgium and beyond the Rhine, and the Russians prepping for an attack on the Hungarian nationalists. (I think; the link would be kinda hard to find.) Having the revolutions succeed without a deus ex machina like Cavaignac would be kinda hard, seeing as they didn't have a snowball's chance in hell even in Prussia, despite the nominal support of the King.
Arwon said:
-The Hapsburgs never inherit the Castillian and Aragonese crowns
Who do they go to, then? :p Another timeline, written by das, Esquire, dealt with the ramifications of Henry V being better able to capitalize on Agincourt (not getting sick and so forth), incorporating France into the Plantagenet empire. This had the interesting side effect (Council of Constance leads to a reconciliation earlier with the Orthodoxals, with negligible effect on the Ottoman capture of Constantinople but instead inducing Mehmed II to invade Italy in the 1480s; the invasion fails, but Aragon is oriented towards the Mediterranean trade, where it picks up the pieces from the dead France and leans further away from Castile) of putting Castile into the Portuguese camp (or vice versa) and having the Avizes rule over them as a united Kingdom of Iberia, which had loads of fun in the colonial sphere.

There's actually multiple ways the crowns could have remained out of Charles V/Carlos I's hands. Deaths and Juana la Loca's madness were necessary. If any one of the following survived they would have taken the crowns before Carlos:

Fernando and Isabella's son Juan
Their eldest daughter Isabella
Juan's stillborn son
Isabella's son Miguel

An Isabella or Miguel succession would have led to an early Iberian unification, as well.

And if Felipe (the Handsome) didn't die in 1406, Juana la Loca wouldn't have been quite so mad, and they would most likely have retained the throne of Castille whilst Ferdinand retained Aragón til he died in 1416

Or if Ferdinand had had a late child in that period between 1406 abd 1416 the Crowns would be separate again with the Aragonese crown falling to that child and the Castilian falling to Juana/Felipe/Carlos.

And finally if the civil war called the War of the Comuneros which broke out in Castille against Charles had have been more successful the crown could conceivably had remained with Juana, as a mad puppet queen controlled by noble or city-based oligarchical interests. One key moment was the period when the Comuneros had Juana but she refused to legitimate and stand with their revolt. If she had done so it's possible the wavering grand nobility would never have sided with Charles or there would have been a negotiated solution.

Any of these could have prevented Aragón and Castile from becoming part of the Hapsburg Empire and Castile being submitted to being crushed by taxation for supporting wars in god-knows what other parts of Europe... Spain's empire in this respect was quite accidental and kinda disastrous.

Or what if the Tunguska meteorite hit Rome at exactly the same time Hannibal was winning the Battle of Cannae, and for absolutely no logical reason, the Aztecs arrived in Greece and started fighting Sparta?

Now we're getting somewhere. :lol:

Top Bottom