What if Roe vs. Wade was overturned in landmark SCOTUS hearing?

FearlessLeader2

Fundamentalist Loon
That got your attention, didn't it?

No, it hasn't happened yet. But what if it does?

We're going to have a LOT more unclaimed, unwanted children, and not many of them are going to be prime choices for adoption (let's face it, everyone wants to adopt that healthy white baby, the others...eh.)

(There are TWO abortion threads going right now. This is not a third. I am humbly petitioning the moderators to lifetime ban the first poster in this topic who uses the 'a' word in this thread. Or at least smack him hard with a dead fish.)

I see no way around it, revenues will have to be raised to care for society's orphans. The first and obvious choice is to make rich people actually pay taxes on their income at the same rate as us poor people do. 30-40% of my income goes to state and federal income taxes. If 30-40% of this country's Bill Gates's did, there'd be no defecit. In fact, we'd have so much capital we could pay the national debt off in cash in about three years, and then build a bridge to Mars so we could drive there. (Well, the bridge might be a slight exaggeration.)

Clearly, the rich will never pay real taxes, so that is a pipe dream. So how do we raise revenues?

Got you thinking. :goodjob: . It is a very difficult question. If we assume that the kids of even the most irresponsible crack whore are totally innocent (which of course they are) then what level of support does society owe them for conditions that are no fault of their of their own. I would argue they are even more innocent then the people of NO who at least chose to live in a place below sea level in a hurricane zone. Of course what they really need more than $$ is 2 stable loving parents and I don’t think even taxing Bill Gate will get you that. I frankly am at a loss to help you here although more $$ and public awareness couldn’t hurt. But then again I do not favor overturing Roe and dramatically increasing their numbers.

Moderator Action: Trolling - warned.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Mark1031 said:
Got you thinking. :goodjob: .
Um, maybe you should have read the other thread like this I made a few months ago. What to do for the kids who we save has been on my mind for some time now, I just condsider it a seperate issue.
Mark1031 said:
It is a very difficult question. If we assume that the kids of even the most irresponsible crack whore are totally innocent (which of course they are) then what level of support does society owe them for conditions that are no fault of their of their own.
Cradle-to-adulthood. Creche if we have to, family if we can. Streamlining the adoption procedure would be a huge step in the right direction, not to mention making all crimes against children automatic capital offenses with burden of proof relaxed enough (IE set to current levels from where I'd prefer it) to guarantee convictions. (But don't get me started on all that's wrong with the DP. Fixing that is another nightmare...)
Mark1031 said:
I would argue they are even more innocent then the people of NO who at least chose to live in a place below sea level in a hurricane zone.
Agreed.
Mark1031 said:
Of course what they really need more than $$ is 2 stable loving parents and I don’t think even taxing Bill Gate will get you that. I frankly am at a loss to help you here although more $$ and public awareness couldn’t hurt.
Agreed again, but since the same people that encouraged Roe vs. Wade to be passed created a culture where taking care of your own children is seen as a hassle instead of a blessing, we need to get realistic about what we can achieve, right?

Man Ainwood's been busier than a beaver, makes me feel sad that I didn't read the original comments, they must have been great.

Oh, and Aleph-Null is correct.

I'd like to see a poll of how many people are willing to pay to raise poor peoples babies from cradle to adulthood. It costs about 200K/ to raise a middle class kid, there are about 1M abortions/yr. Let’s say 10% would become wards of the state. That’s 1M kids over 10 yrs or 200Bil to raise the output from no abortion rule over 10 yrs. Not really that much assuming they can be raised properly by the state w/o responsible loving parents and don’t create a self amplifying feed back loop of irresponsible child baring.

Of course if Haliburton got the contract it would be 3x that price.

The solution to abortion will probably be the same as the solution if the death penalty were banned.

If you can't execute a career criminal, you're going to have to raise some revenue to keep him locked up for the rest of his life.

For some odd reason, neither major party in the U.S. is both anti-abortion AND anti-death-penalty (or pro for both, for that matter). I never did figure out how this happened.... :)

Top Bottom