1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

what if the goverment MADE you go to war?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Highgeneral, Jun 23, 2004.

?

fight or flee

1. FIGHT!!

51.2%
  2. FLEE to CANADA!!!

48.8%
  1. Highgeneral

Highgeneral Gone forever!

Ok lets say tomorrow the goverment brought back the daft and and they made you go to Iraq, would you go? I would go any time but some people would go to Canada. What would you do fight or flee.

2. ybbor

ybbor Will not change his avata

bieng seperated from my family, bieng in a foreign land, in less than desirable conditions, while evading people trying to track me, and my friends down, or go to war, i'll take the polar bear land

3. Immortal

Immortal Deity

tee hee, Im already there ;)

4. MarineCorps

MarineCorps Explosion!

The goverment wouldn't need to force me to join in the first place. :lol:

5. Highgeneral

Highgeneral Gone forever!

Same here i will go any time. But some people wont.

6. LLXerxes

LLXerxes Space Travel is Boring

I'd fight for my country! :salute:
    But I am too young join the military. :D
    What if you already are in Canada? :hmm: (BTW, I'm not, incase you were wondering. :mischief:

7. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

I'd probobly go hang out at Newfangle's he seems pretty cool.

8. shadowdude

shadowdude cynic in training

I'd hide in Perfection's bunker :lol:

I would fight for my country, but I don't think I qualify for the draft :D

9. aaminion00

aaminion00 Stoned

Until an organized army actually sets foot on the U.S. in an agressive war, I wll run to Canada and not be ashamed in the least.

10. newfangle

newfangle hates you.

You can take your comments and shove them!

And if the government told me to go to war, I'd tell them to shove it as well!

11. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

Damn government with its unneccesary wars, it should get back to doing what it's supposed to, and that is shrinking!

12. insurgent

insurgent Exhausted

Damn straight!

13. newfangle

newfangle hates you.

Unfortunately governments bloat faster than Oprah on a baked ham.

14. GerrardCapashen

GerrardCapashen Benalish Master-at-Arms

The same for me.

Except for that ******* draft-dodging treaty that Canada and the U.S. signed. I guess I'd have to adopt a new name and grow a beard.

As long as I don't leave too many legal documents in my wake I think the Canadian authorities would have trouble tracking me down, if they're also looking for another couple million U.S. refugees.

That would be funny, with Canada's population only around 30 million or so we could become 1/10 of the population or so. :D

Start the demographic invasion of Canada! :ar15: Oh wait, that's what we would be running from. Nevermind.

15. insurgent

insurgent Exhausted

Perhaps this shows why many governments don't want to abolish the draft in the first place. Once they lose grip of the people, once the youth is no longer forced to anticipate wasting months/years of their lives in the uniform, they won't accept the reintroduction of the draft. I'm surprised to see that so many Americans would resist.
    In Denmark where we've had the draft since WWII, most people (including myself) don't even consider avoiding the draft.

16. shadowdude

shadowdude cynic in training

what? they adopted a treaty reguarding the draft? when? :confused:

17. GerrardCapashen

GerrardCapashen Benalish Master-at-Arms

We wouldn't resist [Edit: change that to "We would have already volunteered"] if there was truly a need to fight off a foreign invader, but drafting troops to invade another country is something else.

If the government needs a bigger army than they have to invade a foreign country, perhaps it should reconsider or ask for international help (assuming that the cause is just).

Is Denmark in imminent danger of invasion? I doubt it. So what does your military do with all of its conscripts?

I think that it would be a more efficient use of government money not to keep such an unnecessarily large army, and the young men/women could do more constructive things with those years of their lives.

If they really wanted to they could join the military in the first place.

18. insurgent

insurgent Exhausted

Well, I think it's due to military conservatism. It's the model Denmark's worked with for decades now, and the military doesn't really want that to change. As it is now, the Danish army could call upon approximately 150,000 Danes with combat training. On the other hand we have a small professional army - something like 5,000 active troops and an additional 5-10,000 professional troops in the reserve, giving the Danish army the size (and NATO status) of a mechanised infantry division.

But most people can see how ridiculous it is - there is no need for a large force for territorial defence anymore, and people are growing more and more skeptical. Last week, the politicians agreed that the conscription period would be reduced to four months. It's obvious that it will be abolished, but nobody wants to give the final push. That's politicians for ya.

19. aaminion00

aaminion00 Stoned

Big difference between Denmark and the United States. When was the last time Denmark started a war with shady political motives? Here we have one every decade.

20. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Deity

The answer to your question depends on the cause itself.

For an emperial war like Iraq: nope, they could not make me fight

For an invasion of the U.S., I would be fighting before they had a chance to draft me