1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What if Yamamoto....

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Road to War' started by mastrude, Jul 18, 2008.

1. mastrude

mastrude Paraclete of Kaborka

Since playing a RTW scenario takes 8 hours, there's time for me to comment here in the middle of a game. I am currently having a lot of fun playing Yamamoto in a custom game.

I've played other civilizations, so I've seen how Japan is too agressive and gets pushed right back out of the Pacific and China. No point in experiencing that. On the other hand, Japan occupied Manchuria and can become an industrial powerhouse there, and the invasion of Manchuria is what originally ticked off the US, Britten & China. Also Japan is making a LOT of gold from its conquests. I want to see if I can hang on to Manchuria..

So I didn't attack either China or Pearl. In fact, I bribed Chiang with a LOT of gold, and he's my best buddy now--we have open borders now. Churchill is no longer ticked off with me, due to lots of donations. But I'm fortifying all the cities I do control heavily. I figured Stalin would attack me and he did. But what he could muster wasn't so much, initially, since I wasn't already in the deep trouble with China and the US. He's currently getting nowhere. We'll see.

I'm working hard to develop the A-Bomb and hope to drop two or three on Moscow, and take all the Soviet territory I can hold on to. I can't see anybody but Mongolia being hot to ally themselves with Stalin, especially since I'm making large gifts to them.

This is a lot of fun. I'm thinking this really IS what Japan should have done. They might not really have been able to though, with the political elite loaded up with racist warmongers. Historically, Yamamoto advised them not to attack the US, but they didn't listen.

2. Dale

Dale Chieftain

What-ifs are the best. :)

3. mastrude

mastrude Paraclete of Kaborka

Let's see if China or Britain will attack me. I'm betting that they won't, so long as I'm very conservatively taking cities from Stalin. I can let Hitler do the heavy lifting. If I allowed Stalin to take cities from me, I'm guessing they might attack if they perceive me weakened. Likewise if I got over-extended or bogged down in Russia.

4. Chamboozer

Chamboozer Chieftain

Be wary of the AI's tendancy to suicide themselves, because they are set to Aggressive AI. If one suddently attacks a neighbor for no reason and you have borders to the aggressor, PREPARE FOR AN ATTACK.

Italy, friendly with me as Nazi Germany nearly destroyed me in 5 turns because of its random attack.