What if your city befell New Orlean's fate?

Would you leave your ruined city?

• Total voters
Do you mean Miami (Beach) or New Orleans, either way it wasn't such a foolish location becuase the location is what made both of those cities important.

Bright da
NO, NO.
Why abondon the place? Parts of it has been inhabited for 40 thousand years, I doubt it would suddenly become inhostpitable.

And Narz
And there is chance you will be striken by falling celestial body (meteorit?). And do you know bread and water and air are carcinegenous?

Narz said:
Screw heritage, I'm just trying to survive. Nostalgia and sentiments for inanimate objects and landscapes are so second millenium. ;)
How are you so sure you have better chance to survive in permanently leaving than in coming back after the disaster ?

Besides, nothing will ever be the same again. It was foolish to build a city on that spot anyway. Chances are this will happen again. Why test fate?
Really ? How many times New Orleans have already been flooded that way in the last century ?

I don't get what people believe there are more reasons to leave New Orleans now than to live San Francisco now. Both cities are threatened by disasters. I won't bet so surely New Orleans will be flooded again before San Francisco is destroyed in an earthquake.

Yes, and Yes.

Recurring floods, earthquakes, plagues, and other natural disasters are nature's way of saying, 'Don't live here, moron.'

rmsharpe said:
I'd stick around just for the after-disaster looting. Minneapolis has a Federal Reserve building, so you figure it out.
Nice.

There is a ten character limit on posts, which is actually kind of silly when you stop and think about it, because then people can't simply say, 'Nice.' when they read a post so eloquent that it begs an eloquent reply, but, the world is what it is, and some people just want to elevate their post counts by spamming threads with one-word replies, which is why I think Post Count should be an average length of posts instead of a simple count of their number, as it would reflect far more accurately on the content of their posts, as longer posts are generally more informative, speak more usefully to the topic in question, and are generally superior in every way to shorter posts-excepting the case mentioned above, of course- which is, of course, a statement that brooks no contradiction (saying something brooks no contradiction is of course a fairly fascist point of view, and not one I am comfortable making, but in this case I make an exception), but there's always someone who'll contradict anything anyone says, just to be contrary, and I've managed to gather quite a flock of people who'll gainsay me just because I'm an irascible, opinionated old coot, but what are ya gonna do, cry about it, I mean seriously, what good is that going to do, will it raise the dead, end world hunger, or bring about world peace; no of course it won't, I doubt any human institution will do any of those things: the first is nigh miraculous, the second a symptom of human greed, and the third a consequence of human self-rule, there's no escaping any of them while this world lasts...still and all, rmsharpe's post was great, absolutely fantastic in fact, it was short, to the point, and cuttingly funny, all good things in and of themselves, but when combined, pretty sweet indeed, so nice job rmsharpe, couldn't have said it better myself.

Marla_Singer said:
Really ? How many times New Orleans have already been flooded that way in the last century ?
This century is going to be very different than last century. ;)

Gladi said:
And Narz
And there is chance you will be striken by falling celestial body (meteorit?). And do you know bread and water and air are carcinegenous?
Uh-huh, so what are you saying, I could die at any moment so I shouldn't make informed decisions about where to live?

That's kind of like saying, "who cares? you could get hit by a truck tommorrow" when your buddy says he's going to start excersising.

@Marla

I guess I misintepreted some part of the questions.

BTW, even if the place is not permenantly damage and is able to rebuild later, it would be useless if no people is there to rebuild it if most of them can't manage to survive.

I guess the tsunami disaster that struck parts of the coast in Malaysia really change my mind over the issue, I'm lucky considering last minute cancelation as my family did planned to visit the beach that day.

As a citizen, I'd probably try to hang on personally.

As a mayor, I'd give the order to rebuild the town elsewhere. A citizen has responsibilities toward only himself. The mayor has responsibilities to the entire population, and one of these is to see to their safety.

If the city's original location is unsafe or unsuitable for human life, then the city must be moved.

No, and NO.

My city can be damaged by flood wave, if the dam to the nortwest of the city is destroyed. But I'd never leave it.

And I guess this apply for the most of Europeans - our cities are our history (thousands of years long history). We cannot simply leave it and build new one.

Winner said:
No, and NO.

My city can be damaged by flood wave, if the dam to the nortwest of the city is destroyed. But I'd never leave it.

And I guess this apply for the most of Europeans - our cities are our history (thousands of years long history). We cannot simply leave it and build new one.
Of course I agree with you, however, I remain surprised to see so many Americans ready to abandon New Orleans.

New Orleans is one of the most beautiful city in the United States. It's also one of the most historical city of the country. New Orleans isn't "any" US city. To be truly honnest I'm deeply shocked to see so many people ready to abandon such a city so fast. You are nothing without the memory of the people who were there before you. Well, I guess it's a cultural stuff once again. But still.

Marla_Singer said:
Of course I agree with you, however, I remain surprised to see so many Americans ready to abandon New Orleans.

New Orleans is one of the most beautiful city in the United States. It's also one of the most historical city of the country. New Orleans isn't "any" US city. To be truly honnest I'm deeply shocked to see so many people ready to abandon such a city so fast. You are nothing without the memory of the people who were there before you. Well, I guess it's a cultural stuff once again. But still.
Eh, culture, smulture, I'm sure it's filled with Walmarts and gas stations just like anywhere else. What's more important LIFE or some old buildings?

Narz said:
Eh, culture, smulture, I'm sure it's filled with Walmarts and gas stations just like anywhere else. What's more important LIFE or some old buildings?
If what you consider as LIFE is about Walmarts and gas stations, then I would say buildings.

Actually, no, I already said, people are LIFE, loved ones are LIFE, being able to survive is LIFE, the finest and most beautiful city in the world is absolutely worthless if it's 30 feet underwater. Safety first, asthetics later. ;)

Narz said:
Actually, no, I already said, people are LIFE, loved ones are LIFE, being able to survive is LIFE, the finest and most beautiful city in the world is absolutely worthless if it's 30 feet underwater. Safety first, asthetics later. ;)
Yeha but the thing is that the city won't always remain 30 feet underwater. There's a future after next week you know.

I hardly see how anyone is threatened in case New Orleans is rebuilt. It's not as if that kind of disasters weren't predictable. Actually, I would panic more in going in California than in staying in Miami. Indeed, at the opposite of hurricanes, earthquakes aren't yet predictable.

And please, it's not because one dike has broken once that it will become a yearly phenomenon.

Marla_Singer said:
Yeha but the thing is that the city won't always remain 30 feet underwater. There's a future after next week you know.
A few weeks? Sewage and gasoline runoffs contaminating everything, massive damage. This is going to take a lot longer than a week to repair.

Why should I move back? It's obvious to me that the coasts are no longer a safe place to be (ironicly written from two blocks from the beach, but soon to be gone).

I have a feeling all romantics notions about the cultural value of a city would go out the window if you were floating around your backyard on your living room coach.

Living at ~70m above sea level in one of the most tectonically stable places on Earth, flooding isn't a concern unless all the ice in Antarctica and Greenland melts, and major earthquakes are extremely unlikely.

Anyway, if it happened now, I'd stay if the uni stayed, not if not.

I agree with Narz on this matter. Heritage is something you have anyway, whether the buildings are there or not. Of course I'm not saying that you shouldn't try to preserve them when you can, but you need to let go if you must. Life is more important. That being said, I think New Orleans can and will be "rebuilt".

On topic: I would return and see how things develop. If it proves too hard and for instance my children couldn't go to school anymore I'd leave.

The Last Conformist said:
Living at ~70m above sea level in one of the most tectonically stable places on Earth, flooding isn't a concern unless all the ice in Antarctica and Greenland melts, and major earthquakes are extremely unlikely.

Anyway, if it happened now, I'd stay if the uni stayed, not if not.

:D

Well, Brno is 190 to 425 metres above the sea, there aren't any earthquakes, hurricanes, volcanoes, tsunamis, whatever. Until the snow cover this country in the new ice age, I think we've chosen a very good piece of land ;) :D

Top Bottom