What if your city befell New Orlean's fate?

Would you leave your ruined city?

• Total voters

Babbler

Deity
Imagine the following: Your city experience a massive disaster (human or natural) on the scale of New Orleans. Scientists and Engineers have declared the area to in such bad shape that abandoning the city maybe better than rebuilding.

First: As a private citizen, would leave your city, even if you have been living for a good portion of your life?

Second: You are mayor of the city. Would you would abandon the site, even if meant leaving the history the city may built up on the ruined land?

Babbler said:
Imagine the following: Your city experience a massive disaster (human or natural) on the scale of New Orleans. Scientists and Engineers have declared the area to in such bad shape that abandoning the city maybe better than rebuilding.

First: As a private citizen, would leave your city, even if you have been living for a good portion of your life?

Second: You are mayor of the city. Would you would abandon the site, even if meant leaving the history the city may built up on the ruined land?
I'd just move to another small town in upstate New York.

I don't want to live in a world where Montréal doesn't exist.

So it's no and no.

The only possible problems my city (going on Harrisburg here) could face are an Earthquake (we have the faults, its just that they never do anything) or nuclear. I think that me and the rest of the city wouldn't move after an earthquake but its not like we'd have much of a choice if something happens at TMI.

Peace out, Williamsburg!

If I were mayor, though, then I wouldn't abandon it, since I'd be shirking my responsibilities to the tax payers.

As a mayor, No. As a citizen, well, you'll never know. If you loose your job and you are able to find another job in the same city, then NO, If cannot find another job, then, i'd have to leave, what else could I do?

This will happen to my city (Miami) and I will be out of here by 2006 and do not plan to live by the ocean (much as I love it) again.

Leaving Paris because it would have experienced a huge flood ? Are you crazy ?? :eek:

NO and NO.

Narz said:
This will happen to my city (Miami) and I will be out of here by 2006 and do not plan to live by the ocean (much as I love it) again.
Well, that's not really a big trouble in the US since most cities are interchangeable. They all look the same anyway. :p

As a citizen: Yes
As a mayor: Yes. Infact I'll be the first person to board the helicopter. Anything that is destroyed can be rebuild.

It's funny when people can get emotional attach to a certain place, as if the place is the center of the universe :lol: When disaster strikes, leave. As long as you arealive after that, things can be rebuild again.

People are what are important. Cities are just big jumbles of buildings.

Most of what I value (outside of friends and pets) is in my head or on my computer. Material things can be rebought or remade.

as a citizen: YES
as a mayor: NO

I have no problem leaving a disaster striken city, but if I am the mayor, I have a job to do, so I can't leave.

Gr3yL3gion said:
As a citizen: Yes
As a mayor: Yes. Infact I'll be the first person to board the helicopter. Anything that is destroyed can be rebuild.

It's funny when people can get emotional attach to a certain place, as if the place is the center of the universe :lol: When disaster strikes, leave. As long as you arealive after that, things can be rebuild again.
Actually, it's exactly because the city would be rebuild anyway that I won't move out simply because there's a flood.

Wait? :confused:
Is the question about temporarily leaving during the disaster or about permanently leaving the city ?

According to Babbler's initial post, it's about permanently leaving the city (not coming back). I guess you've misinterpret his first post.

Barring a nuclear explosion of some sort from the nearby lab, in which case I would probably die anyway, all I have to worry about is earthquakes, so no.

Marla_Singer said:
Wait? :confused:
Is the question about temporarily leaving during the disaster or about permanently leaving the city ?

According to Babbler's initial post, it's about permanently leaving the city (not coming back). I guess you've misinterpret his first post.
Yes, I mean permanent abandonment, like Port Royal of Jamaica abandoned.

I live on an island, well, half the time. At 90 ft? (meters?) elevation. So, if a tsunami hit most everyone else would die. Since it's the coast of BC and we are due in for a REALLY FREAKING BIG earthquak within the century... I might move...

Narz said:
People are what are important. Cities are just big jumbles of buildings.

Most of what I value (outside of friends and pets) is in my head or on my computer. Material things can be rebought or remade.
That's a very American point of view. From my point of view, a city isn't only about building, it's also about Human civilization's heritage.

Furthermore, the fact that New Orleans is currently under a flood doesn't mean it is destroyed. Of course damages are huge, but it would be an unbearable waste to get rid of the whole city. After all, let's face it. You won't get more money from the insurance if you live than if you stay. Furthermore, your house is worthless if you'd try to sell it devastated. It's financially harder to buy a new house in a new city than to repair the house which belong to you.

You know, many German cities have been 100% bombed out by the Allies during WW2. Guess what, outside few villages or small towns, they've ALL been rebuilt.

Marla_Singer said:
That's a very American point of view. From my point of view, a city isn't only about building, it's also about Human civilization's heritage.
Screw heritage, I'm just trying to survive. Nostalgia and sentiments for inanimate objects and landscapes are so second millenium. ;)

Besides, nothing will ever be the same again. It was foolish to build a city on that spot anyway. Chances are this will happen again. Why test fate?

Top Bottom