What images are needed for a custom Civ/Leader?

luei333

Warlord
Exactly what it says in the title, what images are needed for a custom Civ and/or leader? This includes Units, Buildings, Districts, Improvements, etc (3d models not included in this discussion). Exact proportions of icons, etc. would be nice to know, but I'm not sure we know any of that at this point. From what I can gather and speculate:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A new Civ needs a white alpha image of their symbol as it appears in the Civilopedia and on the banner of foreign cities. I don't know if the colored icons on the leader select screen are custom icons, or if the game's engine generates those automatically.

A new Leader needs a large standing image, used in the leader select screen, dawn of man screen, and likely the diplomacy screen. You also need a circular image of your leader, to go in the leader select screen, civilopedia, and as a diplomacy icon (in the top right of the UI, or on the left in the diplomacy screen). I can't tell whether you need a circular, colored icon of the leader's Civilization as they appear in the leader screen, or if the game generates that automatically. Also, I would like to know if individual leaders can have different icons for the same civ (ie, if Gorgo used the Omega symbol and Pericles used something different).

A new unit needs a white, flat flag image, used pretty much everywhere. You also need a portrait image to fit in the circle when you select the unit. Unknown whether you need to add the unit's background to the image for the tech tree and city production icons, but I suspect not.

A new improvement needs a white and grey 3d/shaded image, used pretty much everywhere. It also seems you need an image for the hex when in strategic view. Unknown whether you need to add the improvement's background to the image for the tech tree icon, but I suspect not.

A new building needs a colored, 3d/shaded image, used pretty much everywhere. Unknown whether you need to add the building's background to the image for the tech tree icon, but I suspect not.

A new district seems to not need a new image (as long as it's replacing an existing district), as all unique districts use the same icon as the base district's icon. The strategic view seems to choose either the base district icon or the icon of the most advanced building built in the district to represent the district, so it seems like districts don't need custom graphics for that either. (For brand new districts, a simple hexagonal image of varying sizes seems to be all you need for it)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please do let me know if I missed any or any of what I have above is incorrect. Comparing it to Civ 5, it seems like you need less images (no map image or separate dawn of man and diplomatic images), and some of the ones you do need are less intricate in design (ie the new circular unit icon, the diplomatic screen). And, please let me know if there are any good mods or resources released that gives god examples of any or all of these images.

Top Bottom