1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What industries do we (society) want our most gangster people in?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Hygro, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

Right now our most gangster fellow folks are all over the workforce, but obviously disproportionately in the illegal drugs trade. Indeed, the term gangster refers to the expected occupation.

Is it good we honeypot gangsters into lucrative illegal industries? Or would it be better to disperse them/collect them elsewhere, say, where there's no need to for them to activate their gangster ways?

2. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

Knitting and Floral arrangement. 'cause it would look funny.

Berzerker likes this.
  3. Narz

Narz keeping it real

You don't think the most gangster people are in finance and government?

4. Hygro

And media. I do suspect it, but I don’t know. For starters, those industries require a certain gangsteritude of cold rationality, but have plenty of room for people who would never pull a trigger. Meanwhile the cocaine business has much less room for anyone who wouldn’t defend their business violently.

Mouthwash likes this.
  5. Farm Boy

Farm Boy The trees are actually quite lovely.

Ah, where to put the 1%. Psychos cause such interesting dilemmas.

I was almost tempted to say animal agriculture, but that's exactly the wrong place to put them.

El_Machinae and Hygro like this.
  6. Narz

Narz keeping it real

We don't put gangsters anywhere, they put themselves where they want to be.

7. Hygro

True but with incentives we get to engineer/legislate :devil:

8. Farm Boy

I wonder if the right answer is actually prison.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  9. Hygro

Makes a highly demanded, illegal products industry a pretty clever way of finding them.

10. Farm Boy

It does, the argument being that throwing open those doors will just move a personality type/social rung to the next step of more undesirable/destructive social behavior. Either way, it doesn't catch CEOs well, and we need it to.

11. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

the license plate industry is booming

12. Hygro

There’s two types of psychos here:

The gratuitous ones who cannot be trusted fighting wildfires because they’re the ones setting them.

The rational ones who only do evil for strategic business moves etc, who if paid on salary could be trusted fighting forest fires.

13. Gelion

Gelion Captain

What are gangster fellow folks? I could think of several definitions, but I'd like to know what we are working with here...

Birdjaguar and Peuri like this.
  14. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

They can sell marijuana the only difference is it’s legal but they get to do the same thing they’ve always been doing.

15. Hygro

People who seek riches that involve calculations of hurting others, and willing to do so directly by their own enforcement like killing someone who is taking their market share.
    There are perhaps some gangster who transitioned to legit weed selling but I don’t understand how your proposal works any different then saying they can work retail.

El_Machinae likes this.
  16. Gelion

Gelion Captain

So by that definition we are talking about criminal groups that create their own power structures similar to the mafia, but less refined and more about open violence. Those groups are usually used as muscle for various illegal activities and sometimes by the government to destabilise their neighbours. In the old adage about responsibility they are "the hands" in: "organisers of crime have clear hands, executioners - clear consciousness". So either they are beneficial to somebody else and then the question how to stop them from being useful must be addressed to the organisers; or we get them into activities that actually give them genuine feelings of achievement and reward from their jobs such as firefighting, mining, jungle exploration, etc. The most important task there is to fight the culture that creates this social group, not how to use this social group "meanwhile".

Hrothbern likes this.
  17. yung.carl.jung

yung.carl.jung Hey Bird! I'm Morose & Lugubrious

on a plate. with a side of roast rosemary taters and a bottle of chianti.

El_Machinae likes this.
  18. Hygro

@Gelion implicit in my own assumption is that these people largely exist regardless of context, but context drives what they choose to pursue. Would you agree?

I’m not talking about employed thugs ordered to violence, I’m talking about someone who might dream of employing thugs and hiding some bodies he created on his rise up.
    Ok how do we do that?

yung.carl.jung likes this.
  19. Gelion

Gelion Captain

The social type might exist regardless of context, but context defines how widespread the group is.

If we are not talking about "gangster fellow folks", but rather about motivational factors that other people use to drive them towards crime and how they can be drawn elsewhere we are talking about people management. As far a I see this question the culture arises in lack of fulfilment of people's needs by conventional society/government; usually as a parallel structure that addresses security and standard of living. Also its motivated by lack of socially acceptable "social lifts" where people who are taking conventional ways are seen as either "weak" or "selling out".

The only solution to all of this is a creation of parallel "gangster culture" that would address these issues without showing itself as being a part of the society that failed these people in the first place. In a sense "it must be cool to get education" again. It must address real issues and show that their way is less painful and equally as respectful. To teach an understanding that "there's no honour amongst thieves", that gangster culture is just as flawed as the conventional one would also help.

20. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

I think Narz is right here. Just look at any analysis of the sorts of jobs that people with psychopathic personalities end up in.
    Most of them don't end up as criminals. Just because they don't have a conscience doesn't mean they are idiots. Plenty of psychopaths amongst our generals, bankers, and politicians.