What is a good BPT rate in ____

Stewie0416

Who Cares?
Like the title, I was wondering what is a good BPT rate for throughout the game? I understand that 100 BPT in 1AD is AMAZING but what about later. Here's how I kinda try to aim for

500AD-300-500BPT
1000AD- 600-900BPT
1500AD-1000-1500BPT
1700- 1700+ BPT

This is under the assumption that you are running the highest science slider possible with profit OR running as many scientists as practically possible during a game ( No switching to Caste then starving all cities)

Is this a OK tech rate? And should this be changed as you move up the levels?

I'm lucky if I get 1,000 by the end of the game :(. I'm usually below 200 until the Renaissance.

I never get people who like this abbreviation jargon. How hard it is to post what you mean in plain English so that other posters understand what you are talking about?

BPT means beakers per turn and is a pretty common abrevation. The tech rate really depends on what everyone else are doing. 1000 bpt in 1 AD might be good, but not so much if your closest neighbour is planning on attacking you and you got no military.

When playing against the AI you beg borrow and steal so much money that you are never at slider neutral, even if you can't get money this way (like in mp sometimes) you are often better off uping and downing your slider more than just keeping it neutral...

What difficulty & map size + type are you playing in. For instance, the beakers per turn rates you mention are quite greater than those I need on Noble to have a decent lead; but for Immortal those may be barely sufficcient. In the case of the map size & type, it depends on how much land, sea, resources & nearby civs are around. Note that Archipelago maps tend to be more isolationist, therefore delaying civ contacts (& thus trade & alliances), but have more commerce tiles available; whereas a Pangea has civs in close contact sooner & more easily, while it has less commerce tiles available.

Also, it depends on bulbing & on how backfilling is done (either self research, trading or spy stealing). Those & many other factors are to be taken in account.

I never get people who like this abbreviation jargon. How hard it is to post what you mean in plain English so that other posters understand what you are talking about?

You have to note the name of this forum.

Like the title, I was wondering what is a good BPT rate for throughout the game?

futurehermit, and perhaps others before him, simplified that question by considering maintaining a consistent tech rate, and deriving the beaker requirements from that.

So, take your 100 :science:/turn, look at how many turns it takes to research the available techs at that rate, then figure out how many :science:/turn it takes to research Future Tech....

The fixed rate only tells part of the story. Trades and bulbs matter a lot.

The important thing is to keep up with your competition (preferably beating it). For all the very high rates you see here, I've been just fine on immortal @ about 80 @ 200 AD, 300 @ 1000-1200 AD, and 500-700 at 1500 AD (eventually jumping to 1000 bpt around 1600-1700 AD). That's kept me at parity and leads to fairly consistent wins for that difficulty...I'd imagine for deity you need to be faster or get more GPP.

I agree with TMIT, I actually had close to the BPT he listed in the deity warmongerers challenge, but was able to keep up because of the Great Library + National Epic in my capital and the fact that the AI's just kept declaring war on each other by the dozen.

Exactly.

The other end of the stick can also be true. My last game brought me to 1700 BPT in 1750 AD. Which gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling in my stomic.

On the other hand, I still have to find a pretty decisive way to win this game, since it is still not looking too good for me :D

Maybe it's because OP assumes Cottage Economy, cause SE causes slider/BPT to be slightly less relevant.

Of course, "Starving Scientists" is akin to slavery and an extreme form of "deficit research". :lol:

Maybe it's because OP assumes Cottage Economy, cause SE causes slider/BPT to be slightly less relevant.

Of course, "Starving Scientists" is akin to slavery and an extreme form of "deficit research". :lol:

"Cottage economies" that don't run some GPP tend to be in the hands of rookies or good players playing very sloppy/screwing around.

I will have won a space race if I get to 1500+ beakers per turn just when I've researched Rocketry (and therefore The Apollo Program). I have yet to win a Space Race before 1900 and have not yet tried Emperor, so YMMV.

What BPT you need to remain at tech parity is a tough question. Extremely low BPT are possible in the early game when bulbing high-end tech to backfill.

Trading techs is the best multiplier for your beakers by a long stretch, so it also depends on your techpath choice. Lower BPT are viable if you beeline techs the AI tend to ignore.

Maybe libaralism is a good indicator of early and midgame bpt. If you get it before 1000 A.D., you're doing good. Before 1300 A.D. is ok, 1500 A.D is a bit slow.

What BPT you need to remain at tech parity is a tough question. Extremely low BPT are possible in the early game when bulbing high-end tech to backfill.

Trading techs is the best multiplier for your beakers by a long stretch, so it also depends on your techpath choice. Lower BPT are viable if you beeline techs the AI tend to ignore.

Maybe libaralism is a good indicator of early and midgame bpt. If you get it before 1000 A.D., you're doing good. Before 1300 A.D. is ok, 1500 A.D is a bit slow.

1500 AD bit slow?

Really?

I want to see you play a prince+ game even with lib dates like that :D.

Pretty much 1000 AD is the max you can get at Immortal+

I want to see you play a prince+ game even with lib dates like that
Lib goes at around 900-1000AD in any Prince or Monarch game I play due, mostly, to my BPT rate. Bulbing Philosophy and most of Education is really the only non-BPT bump I get. Although, sometimes in my Monarch games I'll trade for a few pre-reqs of those bulbed techs.

I will have won a space race if I get to 1500+ beakers per turn just when I've researched Rocketry
Really? Many times, I've hit 1500 BPT while researching Railroads. Sometimes even more. That's generally games with great maps, though.

Immortal liberalism times can vary. I read a game TMIT posted that had Pacal II discovering Liberalism in 600 AD on emperor so immortal could be faster. Then again, Shaka delayed Liberalism until 1500 AD on deity in my gandhi game (and he teched Fusion before Lib so he wasn't backward at all). Depends.

On immortal, I've seen liberalism vary from 600 AD ~ 1300 AD. It really depends on who gets philosophy first as that really alters the tech paths for lots of AI.

In terms of raw rates, I'd shoot for 100 bpt by 1AD (break even) unless you were involved in an early war or are isolated.

Top Bottom