What is a least tempting civ to play and why

I don't like civs that pressure me to go to war all the time. So stuff like The Huns or Aztecs.

My least tempting is Greece. For everything Greece does I rather do it through another civ.

Everyone is going to have a civ or two they don't like. That does not mean that said civ needs a buff.

G

You shouldn't read these kinds of threads, it's like a father having to hear criticism of his child ;)

This thread is missing the positive side of the argument though- the most interesting civs.

I'd argue that Japan's kit is the single most coherent and satisfying. The UA, UU, and UB all feed off of eachother for a really cool domination -> culture game. France is similar in strategy but just a tad less synergy between its UA/UI/UU.

I'm also very partial to Polynesia (as I've already stated) due to their wide culture play style being pretty unique. The exploration part of the game is also my favorite so their early sea travel is fun to me.

Venice has to be in the running for most unique but for whatever reason I don't find myself playing them much.

I'm also partial to Russia as the border blobs strategy is fun to play around with. Byzantium not getting locked out of beliefs allows for some fun/extreme religious combos.

I really like Maya as the early GPs feel really powerful and consequential. I will often come back to America/Egypt because being able to build early wonders isn't often a part of my games so getting to do so with them is a good change of pace. I also really like the Aztec because there is something satisfying about seeing a scroll of numbers flow whenever you kill an enemy unit.

Overall, the number of really satisfying civs really outnumbers the less interesting ones for me.

Overall, the number of really satisfying civs really outnumbers the less interesting ones for me.
Oh, absolutely. While I have civs I am not super-fond of, I still play random and actually carry on with each game regardless of the civ I get - the only caveat is if I get a civ I have just recently played a long game with. I have no real actual complaints, just the occasional 'bleah, don't really want to war most of the game' -moment.

Oh, absolutely. While I have civs I am not super-fond of, I still play random and actually carry on with each game regardless of the civ I get - the only caveat is if I get a civ I have just recently played a long game with. I have no real actual complaints, just the occasional 'bleah, don't really want to war most of the game' -moment.

That's exactly how I feel, too. I play random civs always and only cancel if I just played the same civ. I find it really enjoyable that there are no civs for me I find boring in general.

The least tempting should be the first civ to play. Choose high difficulty nerfed civ on ice age planet. Desire the most challenge.

Spain gets faith upon founding/conquering cities and citizen birth with missions. Combined with her ease of settling by having buyable Pioneers through Conquistadors, wide Spain is a faith powerhouse. I don't see how Byz beats them.

No pressure from other faiths means you can pick population-based beliefs and have them be extremely effective.

That's a good point as far as the Follower beliefs go, I hadn't considered that. Also didn't realize that Conquistadors were effectively Pioneers when it came to starting buildings, that's a nice bonus.

And I wasn't the one comparing Spain to Byzantium, but from playing Byzantium in my current game, they're more challenging than I was thinking. Until you found your religion you have zero advantages (except arguably the ability to found after everyone else but you're punished for using that) so early game can be rough. Even after Founding, having an additional belief on your religion is usually something that'll take awhile to pay off. They seem weaker than someone like Ethiopia who can go crazy with religion from the get-go but could potentially be stronger if everything goes right and they can actually get their religion up and running.

The least tempting should be the first civ to play. Choose high difficulty nerfed civ on ice age planet. Desire the most challenge.

This is more about which Civ is most fun to play rather than strongest. Poland is probably one of the less interesting Civs but that doesn't mean they're weak.

Unless you mean BNW Poland, in which case they're kind of fun since their UA is about the only way you'll be seeing the Policy trees that aren't named Tradition or Rationalism :p

This is more about which Civ is most fun to play rather than strongest. Poland is probably one of the less interesting Civs but that doesn't mean they're weak.

Unless you mean BNW Poland, in which case they're kind of fun since their UA is about the only way you'll be seeing the Policy trees that aren't named Tradition or Rationalism :p
I want the civ that is the weakest overall in its least favorable starting position against the most difficult opponents. What suggestions?

I want the civ that is the weakest overall in its least favorable starting position against the most difficult opponents. What suggestions?
You can try Germany in a Pangea map with The Huns, Rome, Iroquois, Shaka, Songhai, China, The Maya, ... It would be more interesting in Great Plains and you happen to start in the middle though :thumbsup:

Top Bottom