1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What is an Ira??

Discussion in 'Fall from Heaven Lore' started by Chamaedrys, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Chamaedrys

Chamaedrys Chieftain

So the Avatar of Wrath can summom Iras. But what are Iras?

2. Blackmantle

Blackmantle Chieftain

Quote from: Ideas needed for common Events:

Couldn't resist as well. :D :p

3. KillerClowns

KillerClowns Chieftain

Knowing the Avatar of Wrath, I'd guess that they're the souls of those consumed by raw hatred, or possibly just elementals of hatred.

4. Nor'easter

Nor'easter Chieftain

Wow! One of my posts quoted -- from a different thread! Now I know I've arrived. :)

Seriously, I know that "ira" is the Latin word for "anger," so I guess that's why Kael decided to use the name for the beings summoned by the Avatar of Wrath. But what kind of beings they're supposed to be I don't know.

I just didn't think the name was particularly scary, and decided to have some fun with it for some proposed events.

5. Darksaber1

Darksaber1 Secret Emperor

:ninja:'ed
    Sounds right to me.

6. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

I tend to think of them as Angels/Elementals of anger/hatred, in the service of Aeron, the god of body/blood/rage. I usually think of Aeron and Camullos as allies, so they may serve him too.

Prior to the introduction of the summon, Ira were mentioned in the Odio's Prison entry. Odio was commanding the Army of Ira when Aeron withdrew his aura and allowed Kilmorph to pull him into the earth. Perhaps the Ira were upset by this, and defected to Camullos or just went off on their own. (There may not be much of a difference between the two options, as most of Camullos's angels are rebelling against and trying to usurp him. The Avatar is Camullos's archangel though, not Aerons.)

7. Darksaber1

Darksaber1 Secret Emperor

The Avatar's an Archangel?

8. Rex rgis of Ter

Rex rgis of Ter Me I'm a Creator

Yes, he is Aeron's Archangel, the Archangel of Rage. I find it odd that it is Aeron's angel that brings the ARmageddon, seeing as he has an orginazation of assasins and his empire, the Calabim, are quite subtle. Then again, anger is often hidden, until it comes out full force and converts much of your army and kills you for sport.

9. MagisterCultuum

The Avatar of Wrath is the archangel of Camulos, God of Chaos (originally Peace), not of Aeron, God of Body/Blood/Murder/Rage/Hatred (originally strength). The Aeron's Bounty and the Calabim, who are patronized by Aeron, are quite organized. Camulos's followers, the Doviello, are not. Camulos's angels/demons are also quite chaotic, and his vault is an enormous battlefield where his angels eternally fight each other. The sides keep changing, as new faction rise and fall, each built around a different one of his demon's attempts to usurp Camulos' godhood.

10. Fafnir13

Fafnir13 Chieftain

Wait...if the avatar is an angel, why does his entering the world talk about all the anger of the dead (the horsemen rarely kill that many :p ) bringing him about? Does it just need updating or am I missing something?

11. MagisterCultuum

Well...technically the reason is probably that his origin was retconned fairly recently, and the pop-up text hasn't been changed..

12. KillerClowns

KillerClowns Chieftain

I say de-retcon him.
    What's more terrifying? The archangel of an otherwise unremarkable god, or the combined fury of countless angered souls come to release their vengence upon the mortal world, rendering the gods helpless to do anything but watch?

13. Fafnir13

Fafnir13 Chieftain

I think I'll go with the second one there...
    Although, seriously, hardly anyone's died. Most of my games would have it resemble Grumpy the dwarf were all the dead to inflict their collective rage. Slightly more terrifying, but less destructive I think...

14. Pyr0mancer

Pyr0mancer Chieftain

Well, consider the effects of Blight. Having a size 25-30 city go to size 10-15 is a LOT of population dying as a direct result of whatever actions raised the AC. Something like a few million citizens. Furthermore, population lost on the razing or even just conquering of a city would be rather irate, yes?

15. Wolfshanze

Wolfshanze CFC Historian

Individual Retirement Accounts.

Everyone should have an IRA.

16. Marksman77

Marksman77 Aethernaut

IRA is the name of a Polish rock group, pretty good one I reckon...