What is causing this CTD?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by DerWille, Jan 5, 2010.

1. DerWille

DerWille Chieftain

I was playing a Grigori game last night, doing alright, when I noticed that the game suddenly crashed to desktop at the start of my new turn. Unforunately, I forgot to save that game.

So I played another game, my first time with the Kuriotates on a standard Pangea, standard speed, All Unique Features, No Acheron (That dragon just gets on my nerves mostly), and going for an Altar win. And just like the previous Grigori game before, the game suddenly crashes to the desktop the moment before my turn begins.

I've attached the save. To see the crash all you have to do is press enter.

Any ideas why this is happening?

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I'm running FFH2 .41j with no other mods or modmods.

Attached Files:

2. Emptiness

Emptiness []

Civ IV autosaves your game every four turns or so. If your game crashes, and you haven't started another game yet, you can reload from one of the last five autosaves (or from the original save from the start of the game).

3. DerWille

DerWille Chieftain

Sorry. I don't have the Grigori save because I started the Kuriotates game and forgot to convert the auto save into a permanent save.

4. Gaga1111

Gaga1111 Warlord

Well you could do it like me search in your BtS folder and find the config file search for number of auto save and the turns between autosaves,change the second one from 4 to 1 and every turn will be autosaved.I hope this helped you a little though I don't know the reason for the CtD but I get those rarely in base FfH but frequently on modmods.

5. ond_magiker

ond_magiker Chieftain

If you're running Vista, you could try turning off User Account Control.

6. Emptiness

Emptiness []

The problem here isn't that the game doesn't autosave frequently enough, or even that DerWille forgot to use the autosave to restore the game after the crash. The problem is the crash itself. I only mentioned the autosave in case DerWille didn't know that the game made autosaves.

7. DerWille

DerWille Chieftain

I did a few more tests and the game is still crashing.

1) Reinstall base Civ IV and Beyond the Sword- Crash.
    2) Reinstall FFH2 with FFH2 Patch J only (Not even the media pack) - Crash

Both times the game crashed in the 240-320 turn time frame (I can't remember the Grigori one exactly) and both leaders are adaptive. Could it be an error in the adaptive code?

System:
    Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 6000+, 3.00 GHz
    RAM: Corsair 4 gigs DDR2
    Video: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT (512 Meg)

8. algonacy

algonacy Chieftain

funny you're having this problem. my game is almost identical. adaptive leader and my turn time frame is within your range list. I have no solution, sorry. I'm playing as the Malakim, not Grigiori.

9. Breunor

Breunor Deity

There are a few crash conditons right now. If you post a save I can take a look. It probably is not based in being adaptive.

Best wishes,

Breunor

10. Emptiness

Emptiness []

I've taken a look at the save in the first post, but I haven't been able to locate a cause. The most suspicious thing I saw was two adjacient HN Barbarian Elephants SSW of Naggarond, however removing them did not prevent the crash.

11. Bootsiuv

Bootsiuv Prince

He certainly isn't running out of memory with 4 gigs of Corsair....could the 64 bit OS have any impact? Never had a 64 bit OS, so I wouldn't know....

If your original Civ IV and BtS is screwing up, there may be something wrong with the windows registry, and the only real way to fix that (unless your a computer god, and if you're asking these questions, I'll assume your not) is to dump the whole thing and start fresh.

A pain if you don't have an external hard drive, flash drive, etc., but it's something I do at least twice a year. Windows just gets mucked up after a good amount of time, and who knows what you can pick up from the internet (especially if you look at digital boobs).

If you did a fresh install of Civ IV and THAT is crashing, it's likely not an issue related to FfH, but your game or windows which is to blame.

Of course, I'm certainly not the most technical guy on these boards, so take my suggestions with a grain of salt. :)

12. DerWille

DerWille Chieftain

What are those crash conditions?

Bootsiuv: I'd like to hold off reformating my whole computer. I'm more inclined to think that the error is in FFH than my computer since everything else runs perfectly fine.

13. Emptiness

Emptiness []

14. Bootsiuv

Bootsiuv Prince

I think I misread your post....I thought your normal Civ IV game was crashing as well as FfH. If it isn't, then I probably wouldn't do it either. Although, I do love FfH, and probably wouldn't have much to do on my computer if it wasn't there i.e. my computer is my FfH machine first, everything else second. :p