What is going on?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Pauliboy, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Legio X

Legio X Chieftain

I tried first and in my naive adrenaline rush I decided to keep all cities that I had conquered. But the maintenance went through the roof, so I had to quit. But when I play again I will have in mind to use the newly conquered area as lebensraum, and not occupy it. ;)

Also, I play on my laptop. So I can only dream of playing on large/huge maps. Standard for me!

2. VoiceOfUnreason

VoiceOfUnreason Deity

Hmm - my advice would be to pay attention to the demographics and graphs - it seems more likely to me that you are falling behind in GNP, rather than teching in the wrong order. (also watch production and power)

3. Legio X

Legio X Chieftain

What do you mean by pay attention to the demographics and graphs?

Perhaps a dimension of the game I've missed!

4. VoiceOfUnreason

VoiceOfUnreason Deity

I wouldn't say dimension that you missed, but rather some useful information that you've overlooked.

In the upper right corner of the main screen, there are a bunch of "advisor" buttons. The one furthest to the right (looks like a chart with a red line) leads to the Info Screen (you can also get there using the <F9> shortcut key.

The first view available in that section is called "Graph", and it gives you a number of possible views of your own civilizations progress, as well as the progress of any other civs you have met.

By default, it gives you game score, which is pretty useless in my experience. The three useful charts are GNP (which essentially tells you how much gold and research you are generating), Production (how many hammers you are generating) and Power (very roughly, how good your military is).

It's fairly typical to be doing fairly well in GNP while doing lousy in Power. You don't have to look at a chart to see this - the other Civs will announce it soon enough :ack: But if you want to take steps proactively, or get some advance warning when your neighbors are about to become less neighborly, these screens give you a quick look.

Much of the same information is available in the Demographics view, but truth be told I find that screen a bit too clever, and not worth the effort of decoding. (However, the demographics screen gives you information about civs you haven't met yet, and may be useful when trying to decide if you should race to an early religion or not).