1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

what is inflation?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by flyingawaytoday77, Sep 9, 2006.

1. flyingawaytoday77

flyingawaytoday77 Chieftain

hi

i played civ and i had a look at the financial advisor and i see the inflation thing. what is inflation? and how do i reduce the cost of it?

2. stuge

stuge Emperor

Inflation is a drain on your economy which increases over time. You can't reduce it, you've got to keep your economy (cottages, trade routes etc.) growing.

3. Older than Dirt

Older than Dirt King

Inflation is a government scam whereby it prints more money thus making what you have worth less and causing prices to rise as opposed to monopolistic practices such as perpetrated by John D. Rockefeller and OPEC to artificially raise prices and steal your money and as opposed to illegal immigrants who come to your country to steal benefits and commit crime and thereby raise your insurance premiums.

4. anima36

anima36 Warlord

i agree inflation should be incorporated in the game but not in the way it is. inflation is not a bill that the government have to pay but a cost that everyone in the economy must pay so therefore tax revenue should be higher as inflation is higher. and the levels of inflation are ridiculous at the end of the game they are like 75%+

5. MrCynical

MrCynical Deity

That 75% plus is the total inflation over several thousand years, not per year. It's ridiculous yes; ridiculously low.

Inflation's just a convienient name for a necessary fudge factor in the game though, it was never intended to mimic the real life phenomenon of inflation.

6. Antilogic

Antilogic --

I think for the most part it was added because of the cottage improvement--the "scale" of Civ hasn't really changed since the first one (with food, hammers, and commerce, despite being called different things like shields) on various squares, but this is the first time in Civ that you can regularly get something like 9 commerce on a square (financial, town, river, printing press, free speech will do it, I think). That, added with the fact that corruption and waste has been completely removed in favor of civic upkeep and city maintenance...

The inflation was probably added to "control" the wild increase in commerce you now have in Civ4 while keeping the scale somewhat similar to previous Civ games.

As a side note, does anyone remember Civ1? Were grasslands still 2 food, plains 1 food, 1 shield (in that game, I think)?

7. MrCynical

MrCynical Deity

Yes they were.

8. HectorSpector

HectorSpector Chieftain

Yes, and some grasslands also gave a shield.