1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What is New Wave Exactly?

Discussion in 'Arts & Entertainment' started by Huayna Capac357, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Huayna Capac357

Huayna Capac357 Deity

This is something I've been thinking about a lot recently: what is new wave, and what distinguishes it from, say, punk, post-punk, synth-pop, pop-rock, etc.? For example, allmusic.com says, "Where post-punk was arty, difficult, and challenging, new wave was pop music, pure and simple." However, it lists, for example, the B-52s and the Talking Heads as both post-punk and new wave. And if it is "pop music, pure and simple," what distinguishes it from pop-rock? Confounding it even more, I've seen post-punk bands like for example the Cure, New Order, and Joy Division tagged as new wave on last.fm and said to be new wave on other sites. So my question is this: what is new wave to you, what are some examples of it and what isn't it, and how it is different from other genres in pop/rock music then forming or existing, musically or otherwise?

2. Communisto

Communisto Condottiere

it was the first step in the attempted corporatization of punk rock. Punk/hardcore wasnt marketable but major labels found that crap accessible enough to be sold to mainstream music fans, so they supported them because they sold until grunge came along and they found their new cash cow.

3. schlaufuchs

schlaufuchs La Femme Moderne

I interpret New Wave as late 70s-Early 80s bands coming out as a direct reaction to the Arena Rock and Disco that typified the mid-70s. Bands like The Cars, Cheap Trick, The B-52s etc. were more about catchy riffs, and fun, basic melodies that were easy to dance to, as opposed to the deep, over the top, mashing the meedly and the squeadly type music that typified bands like Floyd, Boston, Kansas, Queen and the like. The New Wave band Madness had a catchphrase when they were just coming into vogue: "F*** art; let's dance", and I think, if anything, that's the best way to think about New Wave. New Wave music isn't about sitting around and thinking about how technically impressive the solos are, nor how deep and introspective the lyrics are. New Wave is about something light and fun that you can just get up and shake yo money maker to without a care in the world!

/end overly simplistic analysis of late 70s rock scene; return to deeper analysis of much better understood late 60s/early 70s rock scene.

4. Huayna Capac357

Huayna Capac357 Deity

So, in your opinion, New Order would be new wave, while the Cure and Joy Division would not?

5. schlaufuchs

God Damnit other HC, stop making me demonstrate my general unfamiliarity with rock after 1975! I've never listened to either of those bands so I would absolutely not be able to give you my opinion.

6. Communisto

Communisto Condottiere

yee, the bands you listed arent usually classified as new wave... by anyone :p

Id say youre right if you substitute "new wave" for something else, though.

7. Huayna Capac357

Huayna Capac357 Deity

EDIT: Nevermind, misunderstood Communisto's post.

8. schlaufuchs

Really? Like I said, I don't really study late 70s rock at all. What I do know comes from what my parents/my uncle always say about it, and they were there, mang! :p

9. Cynovolans

Cynovolans Not in my dimension.

Is Cheap Trick really New Wave? I always just thought of them as a really Beatles inspired 70s rock band. But I don't know what New Wave even means so maybe Beatles inspired 70s rock is New Wave music.

But it doesn't matter what they're called, Cheap Trick is still awesome to me.

10. rugbyLEAGUEfan

rugbyLEAGUEfan Deity

Correct answer

Link to video.

11. Communisto

Communisto Condottiere

12. carmen510

carmen510 Deity

Some New Wave sucks, but I like a lot of it. Blondie, Talking Heads, and Oingo Boingo come to mind as some of the better New Wave bands.