1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What is our in-game focus?

Discussion in 'Team CivFanatics' started by DaveShack, Aug 3, 2012.

1. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

Shortly, we will need to start making tech and build choices to support a general strategy. Military, financial, wonders, expansion, espionage, diplomacy -- what style of play do we want to pursue? Of course it's not a choice between these elements, rather a balance of them that leans toward one or more while lessening focus on others.

This might result in as many different strategies as we have active players, but it needs to start somewhere. First let's get options on the table, then we can sift through them to get to something we like.

2. talonschild

talonschild Drive-By NESer

My economy early-game tends to be supported by a religious shrine from the first Oracle GP, while I expand at a good clip. Frequently, that religion is Confucianism, because I get Code of Laws from as the free tech. I eventually get three more Wonders - University of Sankore, Sistine Chapel, and have my economy supported through the Renaissance by Spiral Minaret. In one memorable game as Isabella, once the Minaret came into play I was able to run 100% science and still turn a profit. Culture or Space victories await, and such a vast economy can be geared to Conquest fairly easily, too.

That said, this game is liable to slightly more competitive than I usually play.

In this game, my first thought is expansion, as fast as we can while making sure both our economy and military can keep up. From there, tech.

War can probably wait until we can have a good tech edge - maybe with Cuirassiers. Unless the necessities of an alliance dictate otherwise.

Lastly, as far as victories, I generally aim for Space Race or Culture. I see no reason why we can't do that here, too, especially if we have a very large empire that could build a war machine while three cities culture themselves up.

Diplomacy is also a huge priority. I'm making it separate, because it's more of a metagame thing. We will pursue it with equal gusto no matter what else we do.

Lastly, DaveShack - what a fine leader you make.

3. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

I absolutely agree that strong diplomacy and reliable allies are the most important factors to success in these games. As such, early contact is very important. However, we're already getting off to a slower start then some other teams, and I hate to see us delay expansion too much longer.

After the Corn farm, we can build two consecutive riverside mines in order to finish three warriors while growing to size four, then build a settler which completes on T34 (original plan had us build two warriors while growing to size 5, then settler which completes on T32). This would be costly, but let's us go exploring in potentially three directions very early. The capital can pump out two-turn warriors from that point, so all three first ones can go exploring if we want.

This comes at a cost of working cottages, since we're smaller and focusing on hammers instead of food/commerce. I am torn on which way we should go, but right now I think I lean towards sticking with the original plan, sending just the first warrior out exploring while keeping the two built warriors for garrisons, and taking advantage of our Fin trait by working those FP cottages.

(is this post better in this thread or the turn thread?)

4. cav scout

cav scout The Continuum

I still favor a max growth plan to get to pop 5 as soon as possible. Sacrificing quick growth really slows our rex down and "melts" the snowball everyone has talked about. I would rather delay a couple warriors a bit instead of falling behind our micro-savvy competition. Yes exploring and making contact is important, but we have to have priorities. Plenty of warriors will come when we get our 2nd city online.

5. bistrita

bistrita Warlord

Agree 110%.

6. talonschild

I second, third, and fourth this.

7. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

So that's a lot of comments for early expansion, with just enough military to be safe. And food as a focus?

How about tech?

8. cav scout

cav scout The Continuum

Wheel-> Pottery-> Bronze Working for now.

Food is a focus to get to the pop 5 happy cap asap and then churn out settlers/workers (to stay at pop 5) while working cottaged flood plains. City two will have a production focus and can build garrison and explorer warriors to protect our rex.

9. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

cavscouts plan seems like a good foundation to move in any direction we want later.

10. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

Yeah, I think cav scout's post pretty much sums up my feelings and the general consensus of most of the team, from what I can tell.

After BW, there's really a number of directions we can go in, depending on the world situation at that point in the game (approximately T40-45). If a religion is still available, we can go that route. We could try to go for a wonder or two. We could research hunting to be able to send scouts out (but by this point, they'll probably just be fodder to the barbs). I think it's wise to stay flexible on this for now, and see how things develop.

11. talonschild

Aye. Glad we're in agreement, all.

12. 2metraninja

2metraninja Defender of Nabaxica

I am trying to figure out for myself how much more benefit brings growing to size 5 10 turns earlier than building 2 warriors in this time, sending them to find 2 of our neighbors, then have a NAP and border agreement with them, which secures us land in two direction and then we push for the third direction and at turn 120 we end up with 5 cities more than if we were growing to size 5 before warriors. I doubt the math will be in favor of growing. But then it comes the uncertainty. What if we meet those 2 teams but they dont agree on NAP with us? Or even worse - what if we meet them, they agree on NAP and land division, but when we push for the third direction we get involved in war with the inhabitants of this land and because we feel secure from the two other directions we concentrate our armies on the third and then we get backstabbed by one or the two teams we have a NAP with? No one knows. So we are somewhat forced to play it secure and overall all-round well and not to take risks, which can repay us greatly, and may cost us dearly.