What is the AI doing here?

I started a new name on True Earth Location map.

As you can see in the screenshot, the AI (Canada) appears to be using its builder as an explorer unit, just sending it off across the map for no reason.

Maybe the AI is afraid of my warrior?

I started a new name on True Earth Location map.

As you can see in the screenshot, the AI (Canada) appears to be using its builder as an explorer unit, just sending it off across the map for no reason.

Maybe the AI is afraid of my warrior?
Sending a worker off to explore is a good tactic IMO.
In my games I often try to get Sailing quickly, use a worker to improve two tiles (coastal ones if possible) and then send the worker off to find city states and goody huts. I've seen some civs adopt similar tactics.

Sending a worker off to explore is a good tactic IMO.
In my games I often try to get Sailing quickly, use a worker to improve two tiles (coastal ones if possible) and then send the worker off to find city states and goody huts. I've seen some civs adopt similar tactics.

But the AI could be improving the land. I think improving the land is better. I always build a scout as my first unit because scouts move faster and are better scouts. I always use builders to improve the tiles as soon as possible.

I used to laugh at the gossip line, "[Civ] plans to found a city with their new Settler." Of course they are. What else would they do with it? But I've seen the rumor, "[Civ] has used a Settler to clear a Barbarian Camp" too many times to laugh anymore. :shifty:

But the AI could be improving the land. I think improving the land is better. I always build a scout as my first unit because scouts move faster and are better scouts. I always use builders to improve the tiles as soon as possible.
But workers can enter coastal tiles after Sailing. Finding CS quickly gives you the chance of getting an envoy and bonuses and you can pick up a lot of goody huts early, especially in the polar regions of most maps.

Scouting with a 1-improvement worker or an early GW/GA is a super legit tactic and honestly most good players I've seen do it when the opportunity is right. Improving one more tile is not as strong as a possible envoy.

It's also worth noting that you can't snatch the builder without denouncing him first and waiting 5 turns, which gives him time to escape. But of course there's no way the AI takes that into account. :)

very true... but as mentioned before, in this case it's a 3 charges builder. Which makes it bad !
Unless there are no tiles to improve yet, or if improvable tiles were occupied by barbs, or if they would be pillaged immediately after being improved. :)

But workers can enter coastal tiles after Sailing. Finding CS quickly gives you the chance of getting an envoy and bonuses and you can pick up a lot of goody huts early, especially in the polar regions of most maps.

Yeah, I find I often use a builder as an additional scout early on in the game, mainly to give them something to do until the time where I can actually utilize their improvements. I'm not sure if I've ever seen the AI do that, though...

It's also worth noting that you can't snatch the builder without denouncing him first and waiting 5 turns, which gives him time to escape. But of course there's no way the AI takes that into account. :)

Yes, for Canada it is a tad safer to this - but sadly all AI are equally careless with unprotected workers and settlers. Civ6 is there first iteration of the franchise were I get used to do frequently surprise war declarations - you just get constantly tempted and very likely can get away without big consequences. The grievances vanish off fast, the military threat from the AI is in most cases limited and often you get good peace conditions after the minimum war duration.

Yeah, I find I often use a builder as an additional scout early on in the game, mainly to give them something to do until the time where I can actually utilize their improvements. I'm not sure if I've ever seen the AI do that, though...

But why would you build a builder before you can improve any tiles? Just build something else that is useful first like a scout or warrior and build a builder later when you can improve the land. Plus you often get a free builder from goodie huts so I find that building a builder is often not necessary. But My build order is most often: 1) scout 2) warrior 3) builder 4 ) settler. By the time I build a builder I can build farms and mines at least.

I have, many times. Rarer at the start, but often after the Classical Age. Maybe it's more of a marathon pace thing.

But why would you build a builder before you can improve any tiles? Just build something else that is useful first like a scout or warrior and build a builder later when you can improve the land. Plus you often get a free builder from goodie huts so I find that building a builder is often not necessary. But My build order is most often: 1) scout 2) warrior 3) builder 4 ) settler. By the time I build a builder I can build farms and mines at least.
Mine is often slinger, builder, ..., but I only play at marathon pace on huge archipelago maps with low sea level.

Because scouts can't enter water tiles until Shipbuilding. I often get > 5 goody huts and meet more than 3 CS, often getting envoys, with one builder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because scouts can't enter water tiles until Shipbuilding. I often get > 5 goody huts and meet more than 3 CS, often getting envoys, with one builder.

I play on continents maps. I tend to ignore seafaring and ship building until I have secured a few cities on my continent. I do prioritize 1-2 scouts and get plenty of goodie huts and CS on land that I don't need to explore the seas. Obviously, you play on archipelago maps where traveling on seas is much more important. Your strategy does work for your map type.

that's actually super cool and creative to use builders as ghetto scouts specifically for archipelago maps

It's a tactic I use myself, especially since I mainly play Maori. I've never seen the AI do it, but if the worker has nothing to improve...why not?

Yeah, as someone else mentioned, it kind of depends on the map. Like if I'm playing the archipelago or even small continents map I might not even bother with a scout and just let the builder do it (figuring I can use the builder again later). Obviously if I'm playing a Pangaea map then yeah, I'd probably do a scout before a builder.

Top Bottom