What is the best government?

TownsendVol

Bringer of Justic & Hope
My strategy is basically to be peaceful and try and expand through culture and diplomancy but I also want a strong military.

What gov. is best for that?

Also how do you trade?

Im beginning to catch on to the game a bit better now and can atleast stay alive for a while now. :)

Towards the end of the game, there are only 2 real choices, either democracy or commie. In your case, you shld pick demo cos a big demo can also support a big military and a demo is real good for peaceful development. I am assuming you aren't into fighting wars? Otherwise, war weariness will be a factor for a warmongering demo. Can be done if managed smartly. ;)

Democracy..plain and simple..is da bomb.

If you wanna fight with democracy...use a hack and slash campaign. Take 2 to 3 cities (with Resources if poss) and then sue for peace and repeat. A sustained war with Dem blows!..But you gotta love the money and development.

with democracy, or republic (early democracy, hehe), you really can't launch wars before you get knights or cavalry... and they only really get easy after tanks... 'cause you really need to move quickly to accomplish anything before war weariness sets in badly

i don't know if anyone else ran into this, but...

if you go into the editor you can edit government types. if you look at the menu for different corruption levels, it says they are ranked from most to least corrupt. anyway, the point is that "communal", which is the corruption setting for communism, is listed on that menu as THE MOST corrupt setting (even worse than anarchy!). this wouldn't bother me (i would just assume its a typo or something) except that when i switch from monarchy to communism, it seems my empire gets more corrupt. is this a bug, a feature, or my imagination that the "communal" corruption setting is the worst, making communism inferior even to monarchy?

as to the thread, i actually kind of like monarchy as a gov type for civ 3. in the old civ i'd get to republic asap and tech up but with the new rules, it seems territorial expansion is key to the game, so staying in monarchy and being very aggressive in taking land from your neighbors has worked for me. if you are aggressive enough you can still dominate technologically with this strat; in my on-going prince level game (or whatever it's called, the third level) i've been in monarchy ever since i researched it, it's around 1500 AD, and i've just researched electricity. i get techs every four turns even in war and with a 50% science rate. it's a large map with less land and continents and 12 opposing civs (6 now since the others got killed, including four of my neighbors :D

Happy Civvin'!

Top Bottom