1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] What is the best mod for those seeking "Civ IV, except better"?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by Mrdie, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Mrdie

Mrdie Founder of eRegime

A lot of mods for Civ IV clearly focus on fantasy, or specific aspects of history, or realism, or some other effort to use the game engine to turn the game into something different (and, of course, fun in its own right.)

However, I'm wondering what sort of mods people would recommend that don't really change the base game, they just focus on improving it. Better AI, better balancing, perhaps a few new features and new civilizations but otherwise coming across more like an unofficial expansion pack rather than a total conversion or drastic changes.

2. Nightinggale

Nightinggale Deity

Sounds like a description of K-mod.

3. duckstab

duckstab Child of Noble Family

In addition to K-Mod, which is what I usually play by default, there are those mods which specifically focus on AI improvements, like Better BAT AI. I sometimes fire up Revolution DCM, which adds some interesting new mechanics around empire stability, and is highly configurable in terms of other features. To me it feels the most like an expansion pack because it doesn't radically change things like the tech tree.

4. PPQ_Purple

PPQ_Purple Techpriest Engineer

Honestly I say just pick up plain old BUG. It's basically just an interface upgrade but it makes all the difference.

5. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

I see no reason not to play K-Mod. Its philosophy is to keep game mechanics completely untouched (your mileage may vary on some small decisions but generally it sticks to that) and only improve on AI, performance and interface improvements. It also includes (a modified variant of) the previously mentioned BUG mod. It should be considered the default Civ4 BtS experience at this point..

Imp. Knoedel likes this.
  6. devolution

devolution Prince

Here's another vote for K-Mod, join the AI revolution :p

Update: I now fully embrace AdvCiv instead :)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    f1rpo likes this.
  7. zeebo1

zeebo1 Chieftain

Leoreth likes this.
  8. Unmnemonic

Unmnemonic Chieftain

I use BUFFY. It includes BUG or at least some version of it; UI is mucho improved over vanilla BtS. It is used for BtS Game of the Month play.

I'll check out K-Mod; sounds like a winner!

f1rpo and Leoreth like this.