1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the best tech grab you ever got with the Oracle?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Odin2006, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Seraiel

Seraiel Deity

Come on noto, even I figured that one out :D . I also was like "WTF" in the beginning, but then I remembered Brennus having written something about "non-GS-bulbs that are useless by common sense" , and if there is something worth remembering, this is, because Brennus saying something shouldn't be done? That's like if Tachywaxon not knowing something, like Sun Tzu Wu losing his eloquence, or it'd be like Kaitzilla being Asian :> .

Seriously noto, not knowing something like this, is like not knowing that there's a way to bulb Horseback Riding through skipping Currency. :crazyeye:

(@ elmurcis: Don't take this as offense :> ) .

2. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

Why not? It was.

3. Seraiel

Seraiel Deity

Yes, to you, but you've already proven the last three times in your PMs that you're more interested in misunderstanding me, instead of caring about your own matters, because you're not even elmurcis .

As the last and 4th time I'll explain something to you: Bulbing Metalcasting with a GM from the GLH is absurd, and my last post is making fun, with negging noto with an even more absurd example, as noto and me understand each other.

You now even got a new task, and that is to stick for one day to what you're saying, because yesterday and today again, you proclaimed to not care, but above shows the opposite.

4. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

I still don't care about your opinion on what is or isn't an 'absurd use of a bulb'.

I was just pointing out that saying something clearly offensive then adding 'don't take this as offensive' is itself pretty absurd, because when you add that it reveals that you actually recognized that what you were saying is offensive but opted to say it anyway.

5. noto2

noto2 Emperor

who cares, nothing changes the fact that using the GLH to generate a GM to bulb MC and then build the oracle to get machinery is laughable... it's an even more absurd strategy than attacko's famous amphibious shock elephants. It's something that I might attempt to achieve on settler or chieftan for lols... anything higher than chieftan would probably be impossible

6. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

I might attempt it just to be able to say I did it next time someone starts a 'what's the best tech you've ever oracled' thread...like this one...which isn't titled 'hey I need to know what strategies HOF players find laughable and I can't find the S&T forum'.

BTW Elmurcis says he already did it on IMM, so doing it on settler or chieftain doesn't seem too interesting. However I might try chieftain for the elusive oracle of future tech 2.

7. noto2

noto2 Emperor

add up the turns to get sailing and masonry, then add up the turns to build the GLH, then add up the turns to generate the GM, you're telling me that immortal AI won't have the oracle at that point? Kidding?

8. Antilogic

Antilogic --

Either Civil Service or Machinery way back in the slingshot days. I don't think I went for anything at the top of the tree because it was relatively inexpensive.

9. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

At least when you say Elmurcis lied you don't tell him not to be offended.

10. sydhe

sydhe King of Kongs

I do it on Prince.

11. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

Just tried it on Monarch and missed by nine turns. I didn't have a particularly good start (rerolled twice to get coastal, I figure that's a requirement) and I misjudged which leader to use. Interestingly enough, I could have teched MC eight turns sooner than I could bulb it, which would have been very close. Will try again later.

EDIT: Turn 78. Can't say that one city Germany is in great shape since the only known neighbor is Monty with four, but the oracle machinery is certainly doable. Hard enough for me though. I won't be trying it on immortal any time soon for sure.

Attached Files:

12. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Polish Pudding

How come I always oracle the "metal casting" ?! :crazyeye: :lol: Sure I know how strategically important that wonder is but c'mon it's not all-imortant is it ? :) I would be as bald as to say that I can rush it just so that my oponent would not get it - is enough incentive for me to build it in a first place xD Even if he captures the city it is build in he still gets nothing :D

13. Penopat

Penopat Chieftain

Most ridiculous one was Education, but it was extremely rigged (wasn't even a standard map type, think like a Fantasy Realm map). It was actually a pretty terrible resulting one, too, as churning out all of those beakers left a few other things behind and Education had no decent benefit considering I didn't nearly have the infrastructure to afford Universities; it wasn't a serious game, anyways. I think it was on Prince?

Another interesting one I challenged myself to get was Divine Right. If I recall right, I Stonehenge'd a Great Prophet, hard researched Monarchy, bulbed Theology with Stonehenge GP and chopped the Oracle out for DR. Once again, the start was rigged for this and this wasn't a serious game, but it was honestly more possible than I thought (Monarch I believe) and the early Spiral Minaret was... kinda useful, I guess? :rolleyes:

How about Liberalism -> Genetics, though? Since I tend to play under my honest difficulty level, I can get some crazy Lib techs... :crazyeye:

14. Seraiel

Seraiel Deity

Monarch and IMM is a huge difference. T78 is a turn, where Oracle will be taken by AI in far more than 90% of the cases on that difficulty. On Deity, Oracle even goes before T78 if playing on epic speed.

We're also not discussing about it being impossible. Yesterday I had the chance to bulb Feudalism from a GE I got from the Pyramids I built without chopping (will even publish a screen to that in fairness to Brennus ) and that on a Huge Deity map with 10 AIs. If you want to keep neat-picking and making every good player your enemy, continue with what you're doing, but at least don't compare IMM and Monarch and don't tell me I don't find the S&T forum, this forum doesn't belong to you and is called "general forum" , so it's the place for everybody and everything regarding CIV.

Seraiel

15. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Polish Pudding

I would suggest that "The Oracle" Wonder give some fixed amount of free beakers instead of an free tech - clearely dev's did not intend that this wonder trigger any "advanced" techs mentioned here :D Than again if Oracle would give free beakers instead of a free tech it would give more challange to those accustomed to rig their strategy around *it* (and beeline Their techs to get that *crucial* one) in the early Years ???? :hmm: For Those that praise the awesome greatness of the feebled and awesome Oracle I ask this : What do You do if You are beaten to it by 1 turn ? reload ? give up ? xD

16. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

As stated by Noto "anything higher than chieftan would probably be impossible".

I respect Noto's ability so this seemed an interesting challenge, even though it had been said that it had been done on immortal. Elmurcis specifically said that he had done it with a particularly good start and on marathon speed. I didn't want to try it on marathon and I don't enjoy rolling up a thousand maps to choose from, so I opted for monarch.

I'm guessing that if you or Noto actually set your mind to it you could Oracle machinery on diety. EDIT: it might not be possible, even for you guys. I set up a small map with four other civs I thought would be least inclined to the oracle, rolled up half a dozen maps and used a very good one for the task, and still got beaten by seven turns...and it's questionable whether I would have survived the seven turns against the barbs anyway.

By the way, while this is a general forum it shares normal standards of behavior with pretty much all forums. Using every topic to blow the 'I am the best at my style of play and any other style of play is stupid' horn is a lot more likely to make 'enemies', IMO.

17. rfcfanatic

rfcfanatic Mercantilist

On Settler difficulty I once got Biology.

18. Seraiel

Seraiel Deity

Click.

19. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

Very cool! I'm still guessing it can't be done with the 'bulb metal casting off the great lighthouse' plan, but I'll probably try once more before I give up.

20. Seraiel

Seraiel Deity

Yes, you're getting it now.

Bulbing Metalcasting from a GM gotten by the GLH before AI getting Oracle = absurd because absolutely unlikely (not impossible) .