What is the best way to play multiplayer?

danaphanous

religious fanatic
I'm interested in eventually playing some multiplayer but I have some major concerns from my early experience.

I am interested in playing multi for more challenging opponents, and less predictable games, however, the currently most popular way to play appears to be a mode I really have concerns with.

I think it's called Pitboss or something? Basically everyone is running their turns at once which would be fine if it worked, but it doesn't. I can't stand the constant 0.5-1 second lag between my clicking and actions happening. I also don't particularly enjoy the fact that I have to click very fast to be good at conducting wars. All my experience with civ up to this point has been relaxing and paced and I can't really enjoy the game when it is like this.

I've played hotseat against myself just for extra challenge and loved it but I'm aware that takes unreasonably long with more then 2-3 players. Is there a gamemode like hotseat but where your turns are timered in some way so someone can't be taking like 10 minutes per turn?

I would be a lot happier with the simultaneous turns if it wasn't so laggy. I just can't play with that awful of latency, I'm used to single player where my clicking immediately does something.

Anyone have any suggestions or play multi? It's a real shame that one of the most fun ways to play is so clunky in Civ V. Seems like a design oversight to me. There is absolutely no reason why stuff like opening city screens can't be done client-side with no latency. Most online games are designed to run as much as possible client-side to minimize lag then make interactive multiplayer "syncs" and checks for things like combat and motion to see who moved first and catch all the clients up to the standard. You get occasional desync and catch-up but it'd be way better then just constant lag for EVERY decision.

Simultaneous turns is pretty much the only way to play CiV online multiplayer, anything else will never finish a game or even get past the ancient era without hours and hours passing. The lag issue is usually case by case, with fast internet there shouldn't be a problem unless someone else in the lobby has high ping, in which case host should just kick the player.

I would suggest avoiding players with pings higher than 200. Finding a group of regulars or developing your own will help as well.

Top Bottom