1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the CS bulb path ?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by odin1981, Jul 9, 2016.

1. odin1981

odin1981 Chieftain

Title is pretty self explanatory I figure.

2. Izuul

Izuul Level 86

In vanilla Civ 4 you could do it with a great prophet by teching Myst, Med, Poly, PH, CoL, and then bulbing CS. They fixed that later in the expansions so that a great prophet will now bulb Masonry > Mono > Theo before CS.

It's not really practical to bulb it in BTS, but you can potentially Oracle CS with a HOF type start.

The bulb order info is if here you are interested in looking for yourself.

3. odin1981

odin1981 Chieftain

Thanks. Is that a painted bloodthirster in your avatar? Or is it a different line of models?

4. Izuul

Izuul Level 86

Izual from Diablo 2. Basically my namesake.

5. SittinDown

SittinDown Chieftain

I wound up bulbing CS in a recent game with a Great Merchant - that I got from beelining the GLH on an archepelago map. I don't think it's a great example though - I had to trade and research a bunch of techs that were off the beaten path to do that. (Monarchy, Metal Casting, Code of Laws) and had to keep away from Philosohpy to keep Paper off the board. (I was going for Macemen to take out Casesar)

6. odin1981

odin1981 Chieftain

Is the oracle path easier to then? If so what do you have to avoid until oracle?

7. Lennier

Lennier Chieftain

When you complete the Oracle, you get to choose a tech from any that you could research. So the trick to Oracling CS is to research one of its prerequisites before completing the Oracle, not avoiding specific techs.

8. Izuul

Izuul Level 86

I don't know what difficulty you are trying to do it on, but the higher the difficulty the better the start you are going to need to pull off a CS Oracle. I doubt you are playing on deity, but to do it on that level you need something ridiculous like triple gems. On Immortal you might be able to pull it off with double gems/gold. It kind of depends on how lucky/unlucky you are with the AI pursuing the Oracle.

As Lennier said, you need to tech the prerequisite techs for CS which are Math and Code of Laws. There is an alternative path through Monarchy > Feudalism instead of Code of Laws, but that's way more expensive and generally less useful. You need Math regardless. Once you have all of the prerequisite techs, complete the Oracle and select CS. You want to have it timed out so that the Oracle and your last tech complete on the same turn.

9. odin1981

odin1981 Chieftain

I'm currently on emperor. But I am considering moving up to immortal in a week or two.

10. odin1981

odin1981 Chieftain

What are the tech's to avoid when oracling CS?

11. Izuul

Izuul Level 86

You don't need to avoid anything for the CS Oracle

12. Gwynnja

Gwynnja Chieftain

Depends on your starting techs and land. If you have enough farming food, avoid animal husbandry. If you don't have a lot of trees, avoid bronze working. If you're philosophical or creative, you might be able to bulb math instead of self teching it, but you have to self tech code of laws.