1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the difference between abundant resources and standard?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by sadhukar, Jan 6, 2011.

1. sadhukar

sadhukar Chieftain

topic, thanks!

2. sadhukar

sadhukar Chieftain

bumpp

3. Sonereal

Sonereal Call Me Ish Supporter

One is abundant and the other isn't.

It means the map is generated with more resources if its set to abundant and other is the so-called "balanced sorta" option.

4. Don Julio Anejo

Don Julio Anejo Chieftain

On abundant if a city you're settling has fewer than 3 luxuries and 1 strategic resource, you're bad at settling.

5. swordspider

swordspider Dread Multiplayer

Likewise on abundant, because of the above noted, you should be playing at LEAST 1 to 2 levels higher than normal because your civ is going to be inundated with luxury resources, effectively eliminating your happiness needs.

In my opinion, it is a weird option to play with because all you are really doing is upping the production and happiness of everyone's cities, making the game easier. IN addition, you're ruining your concept of playing the game 'vanilla' and when you take it to multiplayer you might be surprised at how much more difficult staying happy can be!

6. CTH

CTH Chieftain

I think (but am not sure) that abundant gives more of each strategiv resource. Like one iron gives 6 instead of 4 or something. I usually play with legendary start, it only affect your start so that your capitol becomes good.

7. Decimatus

Decimatus Chieftain

Whatever abundant is, it is never enough of an increase. Especially in the ocean. Sometimes I see entire continents without a single whale or pearl.

8. metatheory

metatheory Chieftain

I believe abundant is more tiles with the same resource. Versus strategic is more varied resources within a given area.