What is "The Great Mistake"?

What is "The Great Mistake"?

• Our inability to curb emissions to stop global warming?

Votes: 105 23.8%
  • A experiment to fix climate change which went horribly wrong?

Votes: 75 17.0%
  • Mining the moon resulting in it's destruction, which made a mess of earth?

Votes: 11 2.5%
  • Good old fashioned M.A.D. nukefest?

Votes: 91 20.6%
  • Genetic manipulation of a virus/phage to cure cancer/something gone wrong?

Votes: 20 4.5%
  • Nothing specific besides the mistake of not working together to make a general mess?

Votes: 62 14.0%
  • To be determined in game by player choices?

Votes: 32 7.2%
  • None of the above?

Votes: 46 10.4%

• Total voters
I dont see Obamacare on that list.

:lol::lol:

Also not on the list: opening a rift to another world where Kaijun come through (which would be awesome! Imagine a CBE victory where militarily reclaiming earth means you actually have to fight off a monster invasion! cool expansion/mod?

Also not on the list: Bengazi

I hope they don't say.
Same here. I like it as it is, it's ominous and from the consequences, we can get an inkling of what it is, but don't truly know.

It's like a monster in a horror film, best when it's not actually there, just making its presence felt. Means you imagination fills in the blanks and there is more potential for "make your own narrative" when you play it.

From an engineer's point of view, I'd have to say the most likely 'great mistake' is not all that cataclysmic, but just the progressive decline in resource quality (this is all resources - natural, artificial, human). The planet is a system, and all parts interact. It is entirely plausible to have a negative feedback effect where as one part of the equation starts to decline, it puts higher pressure on the other areas, which then exaggerate the decline.

Disappointed that there is no Gandhi throwing nukes option:p

From what i gather from the trailer, it seems to come more from environmental degradation. Perhaps we have come to a point where we exhausted all means to save the environment. Flooded Pyramids = Rising Sea levels. There is also what seems to be an overcrowded city with people from different economic classes against a dull and dirty backdrop.

Whatever happened, it must be drastic enough for people to place their last hopes on an expedition that might not even bear fruit.

There were too many intact major cities and landmarks in the cinematic for it to have been a nuclear war. Besides tossing nukes around isn't a "mistake", it's a clusterf*ck, you don't mess with understatement in that situation.

The flooded pyramids and ridiculously foggy Rio say to me that climate is messed up big time, but I don't think that our inability to stop the current climate trend would be a "big mistake", the term seems to indicate a singular action or event, rather than a trend that's been ongoing for over a century (maybe two by that time).

It is also a long term slow problem that is practically irreversible.
(Because 2 of the win conditions involve you saving the people of Earth... Meaning

1. There is a lot of Earth's population still to save centuries later
2. The people of Earth have not solved the problem themselves centuries later

Ie Earth is continuing at a high population, but is not able to improve its condition

Chances are its some combo
Limited nuclear war
Massive computer virus release.
Geoengineering gone bad
Biowar that wiped out all modern crops

Add those 4 and you have a problem humanity started that they won't be able to stop before it kills them centuries later.(because it increased the cost of survival to most of our output)

For as long as anyone could remember, some say before the beginning of time itself, man had lived by the Holy Trinity*. The Trinity brought life, prosperity, and happiness to the world. Mankind slowly rose up through the ages, building great wonders, eventually reaching to the stars themselves. But man also became arrogant, and began regarding the old ways as a quaint relic of the past. The Trinity had had ruled for time immemorial, until that fateful day. The day someone put ketchup on a hot dog.

*Mustard, onions, relish.

Moderator Action: Please do not spam threads like this.

There were too many intact major cities and landmarks in the cinematic for it to have been a nuclear war.

The entire middle east went dark and apparently moved to Egypt.
Limited nuclear exchange in that area is completely possible.
And even then, Europe is far less lit than it is nowadays.

The entire middle east went dark and apparently moved to Egypt.
Limited nuclear exchange in that area is completely possible.
And even then, Europe is far less lit than it is nowadays.

I think, if you are referring to the earth view in the trailer, you are seeing the dawn line mid-europe. Eastern areas are day, therefore no lights - Western areas are night.

I think, if you are referring to the earth view in the trailer, you are seeing the dawn line mid-europe. Eastern areas are day, therefore no lights - Western areas are night.

Egypt is already lit up. The dawn line is around Iran-Iraq

Top Bottom