1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the Highest % at which you lost a battle?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Xanikk999, Nov 23, 2010.

1. obsolete

obsolete Deity

Most deity players have lost at least one battle at 100%. Those who whine about 98+% are essentially doing just that.... crying.

And the more you whine about it, the more of an amateur everyone else knows you are.

Yes, it sucks losing a GG at 98%, and that's why I avoid those battles when ever possible, because you are STILL going to lose twice out of every hundred battles that way.

Wake up people.

2. Eerdna

Eerdna Chieftain

in ffh2 i lost several 99% battles with a highly promoted unit... that really feels bad after a while

3. Sincro

Sincro Thou hast no Cu, again...

<shrug> If you fight a lot of battles, it's going to happen. You tend to notice it more in the early game, when stack sizes aren't enormous, but in the late game, when you are throwing around huge stacks, I bet there's a lot of 99.5% losses, as well as a lot of 0.5% wins. And you hardly even notice, because 1 or 2 units rarely makes a difference at that point.

-Sinc

4. Knightly_

Knightly_ Warlord

Oh during my test i had a five battles lost series at 73% winrate and a 3 battles lost series at 90% winrate. Although unlikely they (of course) show up in a large number of battles...

5. Asterix Rage

Asterix Rage Warlord

It was a disaster.
    But after all, I'm happy with that. War is something always unpredictable.
    It's why reinforcement is not optionnal, always send new fresh troups more dedicated to the situation.

6. nfw

nfw King

I tend to be very careful with my units and will rarely attack when the odds are below 75%, the computer, however, will often attack at low odds, for that reason it seems to get a lot of freak wins.

7. Pojman

Pojman Chieftain

I have played well over 500+ deity games and here is what I have noticed.

I have noticed that when I show up with overwhelming numbers, superior technology, and a stable empire I tend to win at a much higher rate.

I have further noticed that when I show up with lesser numbers, superior technology, and an unstable empire (unhappiness, war warriness, etc) I loose at a much higher rate.

It seems like the game can detect how prepared I am for the upcoming war.

For example, Lets consider England... I approach a city with 6 redcoats and 2 trebs... The defenders are 5 muskets.. I hit them with all I have... The game would detect that I am unprepared and cause me to loose 5/8 battles. On the other hand, if I show up with a stack of 50 units of diverse abilities, I might actually win 100% of the battles.

Its weird, and hard to explain.. But, I feel strongly that somehow the chance to win is altered by your preparedness for war.

Has anyone else noticed this?

8. Akkon888

Akkon888 한국 사람

Great General Cavalry retreated at 99.7% odds vs damaged longbowman and no city defenses.

Catapult won at <0.1% odds vs fully healed infantry fortified and with CG3.

Frustration when 6 Axemen fail to rush a single archer, each with 59%-85% odds.

Enjoyment when 4 catapults successfully retreat from longbowmen with 22%-59% odds.

I remember all of these percents because the events triggered me to jump out of my chair and/or choke on the drink I was consuming at the time. :)

9. Eerdna

Eerdna Chieftain

catapult againts infantry? now that deservers something like an achivement or something like that

10. babar

babar King

I don't mind it when I lose at high odds (just lost my initial warrior on a forested hill to a wolf - <0.1: took it in my stride, well done wolf). I hate it when the unit I am attacking at high odds, say 75%+, takes no damage. Suddenly it seems my 2 swords + 3 axes vs 3 archers wasn't enough. Still a chance of pulling it off though... then it happens again. I was expecting to lose 2 units, maybe 3, if my luck was terrible, but now I probably won't kill a single archer. I had brought sufficient forces to kill one archer, I would have thought.

11. ElMikkino

ElMikkino Warlord

On regular Civ 4, I have really bad luck, losing a 99.7% win chance battle, and just recently a 99.4% chance one (luckily they were both just minor naval battles). On FFH2, though, I have really good luck, like when my Bannor, or whatever that dwarf guy with the hammer is called, killed Basium, when he had a 5% chance to do so. That lead to the destruction of the Mercurians :D.

12. Matty R

Matty R Veteran Newbie

99.8% a few days ago. Swordsman with City Raider 1 & 2 against an injured Archer with City Garrison 1 in a hilltop city with no cultural defence.

I've had quite a bit of luck with the withdrawal odds of Catapults though. A few <20% withdrawals.

13. randomguy13

randomguy13 Chieftain

On Vanilla I lost my top two promoted cavalry in consecutive 100% battles against the same spearman.

14. Farm Boy

Farm Boy The trees are actually quite lovely.

I think you win. If you had been using tanks rather than cavalry every copy of Civ in the world would have crashed simultaneously and displayed the words "Experiment Complete."

15. Danvok

Danvok Chieftain

I have NEVER lost a unit that has been above 75% in any of my games. Civ 3 was a different story (Panzers losing to Swordsmen!!! XD.)

One thing that really makes me mad though is that when my units have a 50% chance of winning they ALWAYS lose, even if I reload the game 100 times. Yet, for some strange reason, occasionally a chance of 20% or so will win.

Interesting...

16. babar

babar King

If you have had more than 2 battles at 75% and never lost, you are lucky. Long may your luck continue.

I forget what it's called exactly (preserve random seed on reloading?), but unless you change the option in the custom game menu, the outcome of a battle will always be the same, no matter how many times you reload. Please note you are definitely cheating if you change it and reload battles.

17. snepp

snepp King

That's the way it's supposed to work, the random seed won't change when you reload the game unless you specifically set the "new random seed on reload" custom game option.

18. The7Sins

The7Sins Hungry Burger

I lost a full health Battleship vs a Trireme recently when my combat odds were listed as 99.9%. Damn those Romans and there ability to use the Force to bring down my Battleship with arrows.

19. Cinnabar

Cinnabar Chieftain

Just yesterday, I lost three 99.8% battles IN A ROW. :badcomp:

I don't reload because the battle went badly, but I did that time. Sue me.

20. CivFanaticMan

CivFanaticMan Warlord

I love how pissed off i get when i lose to a 95% odd. I get so pissed of i sometimes just enter world builder and remake the unit i lost because it seemed so unfair.