What is the historical basis on some of the UUs??

Okay .. most foot soldiers ... discounting bunches of drunken ginger haired scottish lunatics and possibly the jag warriors and impis, although they dont have the attack strength.

Nope trews are scottish dress as well ... Its just the way I imagine them .. I've been out in glasgow on a Saturday night .. I know what I'm talking about lol

I'm not saying that chariots are/were weak units in real combat. They were devastating. I was only agreeing that Civ's chariots are weak compared to the real ones.

Nope trews are scottish dress as well ... Its just the way I imagine them .. I've been out in glasgow on a Saturday night .. I know what I'm talking about lol

I like pretending they're all like that insane irish guy from Braveheart.

But I guess the term celts covers several groups of people.

Historically speaking the Celts were French and Spanish even. I think they usually get identified with with the Irish though. They spread from Celti-Iberia, which is more or less modern day Spain, across France and over to Ireland, but the Irish Celts were part Pictish, which are really the Scots. Civ Celts seem to be more Gaulish than anything. Thats going off the city names. But the Gauls were generally dark. To me red hair is Scottish in origin, they look like Billy Connolly, or perhaps someone from Asterix the Gaul. It would be totally confusing to play the Celts up to the Middle ages and have them turn into the French though, or even the Spanish, or the Irish, on a random basis. They did discover iron working, and used iron swords, which bent in combat ..
Its a generalisation though, like a lot of stuff in Civ. Chariots are funny, I've only built them once, the 3 man chariot is funny when it dies though.

used iron swords, which bent in combat ..
Its a generalisation though, like a lot of stuff in Civ.

So did the norse swords. THere are documentations of strong warriors bending thier swords back into shape before battle.

So did the Norse swords. There are documentations of strong warriors bending their swords back into shape before battle.

The Arabs had swords that bent in a different sense, they could be doubled almost in half and then twang (there's probably a better word as the former gives the impression of flimsy, which they weren't) back to their original position. Unfortunately, the "recipe" was a greatly guarded secret and has since been lost. :(

I get really annoyed when people say that the greatest weapon is a samurai sword. They obviously haven't met Mr. Rifle yet.

It's funny how short shrift the foot soldier gets in this game. I guess bad chariots are the counterpart that evens things out. Ah well, that's what mods are for.

Throughout history, since the breeding of horses, foot soldier have largely been second rate. Except maybe in the case of rome. And still...

The Arabs had swords that bent in a different sense, they could be doubled almost in half and then twang (there's probably a better word as the former gives the impression of flimsy, which they weren't) back to their original position. Unfortunately, the "recipe" was a greatly guarded secret and has since been lost. :(

Actually its not been lost. Its Damascan steel, made by folding strips diagonally around a core. They used the same technique for making afghan muskets. When its highly polished you can see the lines. The best viking swords were 'pattern welded', I've made the odd one and I've got friends who make them professionally. Its a series of soft iron and hard steel wires twisted into braided wires and welded to others to form the sword. All the techniques use the same princip0les as samurai swords. Its time consuming to make but we chopped a car in half one once as a demo. The hold a really good edge and are as strong as the best modern steels.

It was a Royal we, I'm English, not British, it means as far as you colonials are concerned I take tea with the Queen every afternoon at 4pm and am Royalty to the likes of you. Lol

The Norse Film & Pageant Society, I was a member for about 15 years. It took 3 of us about 2 hours to do it, you have to roll the car over and stuff. Maybe thats how spearmen do it, roll the tank over and use the spear as a ruddy great can opener.

On Topic wouldnt the English Yeoman be a better UU for England?

Top Bottom