1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

what is the point of the barbarians?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by cabbagess, Mar 22, 2006.

1. cabbagess

cabbagess Chieftain

I just don't see a point of them. All they seem to do is attack you and that's it.

Your basically at war with them all the time, but you can't destroy them (take them out of the game) and every now and then they kill a few of your workers and destroy a few improvement.

Why do they only attack the human players? as well. IMO, they just a annoyance and adds nothing to the game.

2. tombeef

tombeef King

you can take them entirely out of the game. They only appear in fog of war spaces, so getting rid of those gets rid of the barbarians. Also, they do attack AI, just not as much it seems.

Anyways, you can turn them off through custom game.

3. omni_paul

omni_paul Mr. Shambles

Barbarians rule. Sorry, have to disagree with you.

They are the UNcivilized element to the game, simulating genuine history. If you want to take them out of the game, expand to fill all unsettled space. Barbs only generate in area covered by FoW for all players.

And by the way, they do attack AI players, you just don't see it.

4. Guerra

Guerra Warlord

You can benefit quite a bit from barbarians. This may seem counter intuitive...

You get your favorite unit, and put it on one front, where your barbarians keep popping up. He keeps killing them and gaining experience. Soon enough you'll have SUPER units that you can use against your enemies! Yay!

5. ThrashTilDeath

ThrashTilDeath Chieftain

The point of barbarians is getting your units up to 10 experience points. I like having a small fog of war patch by a couple of hills near my city just to get my new units some easy experience.

6. Selous

Selous King

and if you play a terra game the barbs populate the "new country" and you have to fight them for it ... lotsa fun

7. Chamaedrys

Chamaedrys Emperor

Yeah! That's an easy way of getting Cities and XP. And the Barbarian cities are sometimes even a big prey. :)

8. GIDS888

GIDS888 King

Barbarians bring dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl!

9. MrPaladin

MrPaladin Warlord

as for barbs only attacking you and not enemy civs, I disagree, I actually watch column after column of barbs touch my outer borders only to turn and head to something tasty in my rivals land

10. _alphaBeta_

_alphaBeta_ King

Keep in mind that I think there's an experience cap when fighting barbarians (or is it animals?)

Play the Terra map. The barbs will flourish on it. By the time I got over there they had rifleman.:sad:

11. OutOfFaze

OutOfFaze Chieftain

Same, but by that time I had tanks and marines :D

12. automator

automator King

Yup, 10 points. Still, that's enough to get a couple upgrades out of your units. Better to go attacking your neighbor with a handful of city raider II axes than non-upgraded axes.

I love barbs, you just need to know how to handle them. Just stationing units in your cities isn't enough. You need to put one unit at each compass direction just outside your borders, preferably on a wooded hill. The barbs usually won't even get into your borders; they'll just attack your fortified unit and die.

13. SilentDemon

SilentDemon Warlord

Barbarians are very useful to have in the game since they keep you trying to balance your technological advancement with your military (very useful for multiplayer practice!)

14. Olleus

Olleus Deity

Without barbs the early game would be very very dull. Lets admit it wars are fun!

15. Marlowe13

Marlowe13 Chieftain

To each his own, but as a person whose idea of fun is to play a builder/turtle game only on huge maps (which are small enough in Civ4), barbarians are the prime reason I have put the game away for a while. It feels too much like cheating to turn barbarians off, but figthing off the constant waves of barbarians that appar on huge maps/epic speed is no fun me, just tedious. I don't like having to rush to copper mining (and being toast if there is no copper reasonably available), I don't like building waves of archers/axemen instead of city improvements/wonders, and I just don't like being forced to fight a constant war (I generally avoid war when possible)--and with an opponent that is stronger than the AI civs. Frankly, with GalCiv2 and Oblivion out, I probably won't play much Civ4 unless they patch a more customizable barbarian level ala CivIII.

16. Kerrang

Kerrang Warlord

Barbs attack AI units as well, but their propensity to attack them will depend on the level of game you are playing. Just like other AI players, Barbs have AI routines that help them select their targets. They will attack units based upon their chances of succeeding in the battle. So on a level playing field, if you have a Macemen unit near a Barb Warrior, and the AI opponent has a Warrior unit in range as well, the Barb will attack the AI Warrior, as it has a betterchance of winning the battle.

As you increase in difficulty, however, the playing field becomes less than level. On settings above Noble, AI civs have a bonus against Barbs, and the Barbs are aware of this. If you are playing a game on diety, the bonuses that the AI Warrior receives against the Barb Warrior may be enough to cause the Barb to attack you rather than the AI. Unit promotions and terrain bonuses will also play a part in the decision on who to attack.

Another thing to realize is that in many cases, you will never know it when the Barbs attack an AI civs unit, as this will take place in the fog of war more often than not.

17. Willem

Willem Deity

It's not necessary to use Axemen against the barbs, Archers are more than sufficient. I don't go for Bronze Working until after I get Code of Laws, and I have no problem keeping the barbs under control. Maybe you just need to adjust your tactics.

They're not even close to being as strong as the other civs. Unless you're playing at the highest level you get a bonus against them, and they generally don't come at you in stacks, just one or two at a time. If you can't handle the barbs, then you can't deal with the AI either.

Just do it yourself then. Go into HandicapInfo.xml in Assets/XML/GameInfo and customize the way you'll feel comfortable with it. The game was made moddable for a reason.

18. Willem

Willem Deity

The AI bonuses are the same for every level, they never go up after Settler. So by Noble they're getting a very good advantage over them compared to the human player.

19. Marlowe13

Marlowe13 Chieftain

Willem, you miss my point entirely. I want barbarians to be at the CivIII nuisance level. I realize other people's taste and opinion differ and that's fine, but I don't enjoy the game if dealing with barbarians is a major component of it. Regardless of whether I need archers or axemen, or need new tactics, I simply do not want to have to deal with barbarians as a major part of my strategy. As for modding, I don't know how to change this nor does your short suggestion help. As others have noted, Civ 4 may be very moddable if you know how, but it is much more difficult to mod than CivIII, which did not require going into files and changing values.

20. Willem

Willem Deity

It's really very simple, just open the file using Notepad and change the numbers that control the barbs appearance probability. It's a bit more difficult than using the editor in Civ 3, but only slightly so. It takes no more knowledge or ability than correcting a spelling mistake in a word processor.