What is the purpose of alliances?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by stebobibo, Nov 3, 2016.

1. stebobibo

stebobibo Chieftain

What does it mean to be allied to an AI? What benefits or drawbacks are there? I can't find any info on it in the civilopedia. I'm currently allied with 3/6 civs so it's important for me to know.

2. Takfloyd

Takfloyd Prince

It's supposed to prevent you from going to war against eachother, same as friendship, but the AI can go to war regardless via Joint War. Other than that it's just a requirement for Defensive Pact, gives Open Borders and I think may be required for Research Agreement as well.

So, it's pretty useless, like all diplomacy in this game.

3. CaiusDrewart

CaiusDrewart King

The AI is also quite willing to stab you in the back the second the alliance expires. I've had that happen twice.

Given that it takes quite a bit of skill and quite a bit of luck to make some friends in this game, it would be nice if there were actually compelling reasons to do so. Right now... not so much.

4. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

That sounds like a recipe for unwanted war. But maybe that's irrelevant, as you are far ahead anyway. Alliances don't prevent war, they open the possibility of you getting dragged into another's war. (So, out of principle I never ally with anyone.)

5. spfun

spfun King

I've had a lot of alliances and haven't been dragged into a war yet. But ultimately for the most part relations in this game are pointless currently. You can still trade for fair prices with unfriendlies if they want a luxury just as much as a neutral or friendly...