1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the resoning or philosophy for having no city growth when making units?

Discussion in 'Orbis Modmod' started by Davor, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Davor

Davor Prince

I am really finding this a bit hard to understand. I am accepting it because it's something new and makes the game like a new game. Thing is, I am hating having not my city grow.

So it's like when ever you build a unit, they are all like Settlers, no city growth. It's an interesting idea, that the training and food goes to the army.

I can maybe have more fun if I understood why this is so. This really slows the game down. I wonder if this hampers or slows down the AI or does the AI know how to balance? I mean does the AI know how to grow it's cities and make units as well to survive?

2. Jarrema

Jarrema Master Voter

You can go of it rather early, if you discover techs that give you another civic from the same line, like for example agrarianism

3. Davor

Davor Prince

I am actually liking the idea now. It gives an extra level of complexity.

I am not shure what you mean Jarrema, what can I go for it early?

4. mcwill123

mcwill123 Pretender to the Throne

You can convert to agrarianism, if you have the calendar tech. Then unit production won't be based on food anymore. Or if you have no other use for calendar, eventually you can convert to tolls after you have trade.

5. Davor

Davor Prince

I didn't see this listed that agrarianism lets you not use food anymore for production. Thanks for that, I will keep this in mind.

I am really starting to like all these changes. Just wish there was a manual for this to read. I am more of a read first play later type of guy.

6. Jarrema

Jarrema Master Voter

Exaclty the same thing with me. It was only reason, why for very long I played only vanilla FfH

Maybe you will finf this thread interesting?

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=392560

You can watch there how we try to win a game as a Palatinate

7. Smakemupagus

Smakemupagus Warlord

orbis is a great mod, but updating the Civilopedia does not seem to be one of the things they emphasized. the pointers that you see during normal gameplay (tooltips and such) seem to be accurate. so for example i think the one place you could have learned about this aspect of Agrarianism in game would have been from the mouseover tips on F3 civics menu.

by the way i really like using food for unit production early. it lets you get critical early units out fast and lets you throttle down city growth as needed without the unhappys from slavery.

8. Jarrema

Jarrema Master Voter

It is not written specifically ibn Agrarianism description, because NOT building units with food is default. It is mentioned in description of survival, that units ARE built with food.

I agree, that in some situations it is good to have units build with food early. You can always research mysticism fast, and grow while building Elder Council and Pagan Temple

9. Davor

Davor Prince

Wow lots to read. Thanks for the link, reading on and off.

10. Imuratep

Imuratep Cultist of the Old Ones

Also in early game it is good to get units fast if you play with raging barbarians like we always do in MP. Especially it does not make low production output cities unplayable if this option is enabled (what becomes more likely if you increase the number of human players).

11. Davor

Davor Prince

I made a new game with raging barbarians. Wow combat is so intense. It's not nice living on this planet. Sorry forget the name, still trying to learn all the names.

I love it. I don't ever remember being on the defensive so early in the game.