What is the story with Railroads?

I'm frustrated. I'm playing on an unpatched version of the game (the mac side :( ) and I've connected two cities to my capital city via railroad and ... nothing. Is there some sort of icon? The number of hammers in the other cities didn't rise either. I'm not sure what's supposed to happen, but they are DEFINITELY connected by railroad and all I have below the city name is the trade route icon.

Help? Can someone post a picture of what it's supposed to look like?

I don't think the icon changes at all, but when you hover your mouse over the number of hammers in the city screen you should get a pop-up. That pop up should mention any hammer bonuses that city is getting, including the railroad bonus.

If City B is connected to City A via railroad, and City A is connected to the capital via road (instead of railroad), what happens?

If City A is three tiles away from the capital, and one of the two tiles in between is road and the other is railroad, what happens?

Is there any benefit to connecting resources with railroads? It seems that I've seen railroads recommended to resource tiles.

This appears to be a confirmed bug. See "Computer gives false recommendations: Build road to connect resource".

If City B is connected to City A via railroad, and City A is connected to the capital via road (instead of railroad), what happens?

If City A is three tiles away from the capital, and one of the two tiles in between is road and the other is railroad, what happens?

Both of those questions have been answered in this thread multiple times already. First case: Nothing happens since the capital isn't involved. Second case: Nothing happens because the cities are not connected by railroad. Just like two cities are not connected by road if you don't build a road all the way.

It really isn't that complicated.

I don't get it.. This doesn't make sense. I understand that a factory in city A can produce faster if the resources are brought in by train instead of truck from city B. Or that construction will be faster if materials do the same. But that is on land. It shouldn't do anything for city C on a different continent that still uses the same route over the SEA.

Or have I misunderstood the concept of the hammers totally? They represent Production and Construction, right?

They do represent construction/production.

What your missing is that in a game gameplay comes before reality. If you can't get the production bonus overseas then you probably would be frustrated and not want to play water rich maps.

Also you could imagin the harbour is connected to the cities industrial areas by rail instead of road so it can reach the factorys more easily.

Anybody know why the Capital doesn't get a rail bonus even after the patch.?

It seems to me that bug, not works as designed.

I built ironworks in the Capital (even added an extra workshop to qualify) and no bonus argh.

Yer as it stands its best to make you capital a gold or sci centre and another city a production centre as they get the 50% bonus.

Is there a way to check if the city is connected by a railroad rather than tracing it all the way back to your capital? Is there an indicator somewhere?

Is there a way to check if the city is connected by a railroad rather than tracing it all the way back to your capital? Is there an indicator somewhere?
The +50% production bonus indicates this. I haven't noticed any icons but then again I don't think such icons are needed anyways. The city's connected if it has the bonus...

Anybody know why the Capital doesn't get a rail bonus even after the patch.?

It seems to me that bug, not works as designed.

The way it's worded suggests to me that it is WAD, not a bug.

I don't have access to the text right now, but it says that the city gets a 50% bonus if connected to the capital. That precludes the capital from qualifying for this bonus, since it can't be connected to itself.

Or it automaticaly is (every path not containing loops from capital to capital have all edges made of railroads (and from frogs and from snails, because every member of empty set meets any criteria)).

Yer as it stands its best to make you capital a gold or sci centre and another city a production centre as they get the 50% bonus.

I find my cap to be one of my strongest production, science *and* gold cities throughout almost every game (probably mostly due to Maritimes). I'd imagine the bonus isn't given because of that.

Top Bottom